"Addis Ababa" Addis Ababa by yurxlnc
Addis Ababa Travel Guide: 403 reviews and 3,014 photos
Addis Ababa means the White/ New flower, but why I don't know.
It was founded by Emperor Menelik II in 1886 on a site chosen by his wife Taytu Batul.
Five million people, three million of whom arrived since the 1991 revolution, live in the capital. The city was only founded in 1886 but was nearly abandoned due to lack of fuel wood until the introduction of eucalypts to the area.
The main shopping street is Churchill Ave.
The Ethnographic Museum is an ideal place to start learning about Ethiopia's rich ethnic diversity. The National Museum is smaller, but has the fossils of 3.5-million-year-old 'Lucy', our earliest ancestor discovered so far.
Mercato is the largmarket of open-air stalls, where you can buy everything you could ever think of.
yurxlnc's Related Pages
Addis Ababa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ADDIS - THE NEW FLOWER OF ETHIOPIA"
- "I love cities with meaningful names"
- "Addis Ababa, Ethiopia"
- "Addis Ababa: A City of Belief & Disbelief"
- "Addis Ababa"
- "ADDIS ABABA - not so 'new' flower"
- ""The New Flower" Addis Ababa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Addis Ababa
- Hotels in Addis Ababa
- Transportation in Addis Ababa
- Nightlife in Addis Ababa
- Restaurants in Addis Ababa
- Shopping in Addis Ababa
- Warnings and Dangers in Addis Ababa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Addis Ababa
- 2 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Addis Ababa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Addis Ababa
Photos in Addis AbabaSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Cairo Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sudan Intro, 6 reviews, 42 photos, 5 travelogues
- Uganda Intro, 7 reviews, 40 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 11 reviews, 32 photos
- Osaka Intro, 3 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Khartoum Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues
- Syria Intro, 9 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 4 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Aswan Intro, 3 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 1 review, 28 photos, 3 travelogues