"The Temple of Karnak" Al Karnak by yurxlnc

Al Karnak Travel Guide: 100 reviews and 549 photos

The temple of KArnak is large. I had seen the sound and light display and thought I would be able to cover the site in an hour or so. I was so wrong. We were there for hours. We spent a considerable time in the cool shady pillard areas looking at the walls.
The pillars are huge and so close together that the sun hardly dares to penetrate the forest of stone.
It was clear when looking at the carvings that a certain amount of 'stealing had been going on. Names had obviously been erased and a new name carved deeper into the stone.

The site had been added to and usurped for quite some time and then become buried in the sand, otherwise how would a mosque have been built on the top of part of the temple?

Although we spent hours here, there was too much to take in, even having been to the sound and light the evening before.Even with the help of a guide book we must have missed so much, though my wife was forever exclaiming 'look at that boat with gods in', " look at ..." and using rolls of film, fortunately hers came out well. I must have ended up with old film as mine were less clear, faded.

• Pros:an amazing building
  • Cons:too much to absorb
  • Last visit to Al Karnak: Dec 2002
  • Intro Written Jul 4, 2005

Comments

yurxlnc

“all work and no play even when I travel”

Badges & Stats in Al Karnak

Have you been to Al Karnak?

Latest Activity in Al Karnak