"The Temple of Karnak" Al Karnak by yurxlnc
Al Karnak Travel Guide: 100 reviews and 549 photos
The temple of KArnak is large. I had seen the sound and light display and thought I would be able to cover the site in an hour or so. I was so wrong. We were there for hours. We spent a considerable time in the cool shady pillard areas looking at the walls.
The pillars are huge and so close together that the sun hardly dares to penetrate the forest of stone.
It was clear when looking at the carvings that a certain amount of 'stealing had been going on. Names had obviously been erased and a new name carved deeper into the stone.
The site had been added to and usurped for quite some time and then become buried in the sand, otherwise how would a mosque have been built on the top of part of the temple?
Although we spent hours here, there was too much to take in, even having been to the sound and light the evening before.Even with the help of a guide book we must have missed so much, though my wife was forever exclaiming 'look at that boat with gods in', " look at ..." and using rolls of film, fortunately hers came out well. I must have ended up with old film as mine were less clear, faded.
- Pros:an amazing building
- Cons:too much to absorb
yurxlnc's Related Pages
Al Karnak Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Christmas in Karnak"
- "el karnak .... mish mumkin ya habibi!"
- "Jumping Around Karnak!"
- "Revisiting Luxor and Karnak"
- "the largest temple complex ever built"
- "Al Karnak: the location of a gorgeous temple"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Al Karnak
- Hotels in Al Karnak
- Transportation in Al Karnak
- Restaurants in Al Karnak
- Warnings and Dangers in Al Karnak
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Al Karnak
- 1 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Al Karnak?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Al Karnak
Top 10 Pages
- Cairo Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sudan Intro, 6 reviews, 42 photos, 5 travelogues
- Uganda Intro, 7 reviews, 40 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 11 reviews, 32 photos
- Osaka Intro, 3 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Khartoum Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues
- Syria Intro, 9 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 4 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Aswan Intro, 3 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 1 review, 28 photos, 3 travelogues