"Brantome - the Venice of the Perigord" Brantôme by mexicruiser
Brantôme Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 75 photos
This is a picture postcard village, with nothing to detract from the magic of the place. It is first of all a natural site, a crescent-shaped cliff surmounted by a wooded swath of green, at the base of which sits the abbey and where the river Dronne curls around and surrounds the medieval town. The "Venice of Perigord" is actually an island.
The Abbey was founded by Charlemagne in the early 9th century. While the church has undergone some transformations over the centuries, its 11th century bell tower is certainly the oldest in France. In fact, it is unique for being built not on the church but on the rocky overhang that dominates it.
You'll find a tourist information centre in the former cloister to help you better plan your stay. Take in the Musee Desmoulin and its spirit medium paintings.
Just past the Renaissance Pavilion, the old southern defence of the abbey and the abbot's manor which now houses a painters' workshop, you'll find the Moulin de l'Abbaye, converted into an adorable hotel on the banks of the Dronne.
Be sure to come to Brantome on Friday morning or else stay until Friday at noon, since it's market day on the square between the abbey and the river, across from the Medici fountain and just steps from the Moulin. It's incredibly picturesque!
mexicruiser's Related Pages
Brantôme Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Visit on a holiday if you can."
- "A Fine Site to Withdraw To"
- "A Little Gem in the Périgord Vert"
- "Brantome - the Venice of the Perigord"
- " BRANTOME "
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Brantôme
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Brantôme?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Brantôme
Top 10 Pages
- Mazatlán Intro, 5 reviews, 15 photos
- Greece Intro, 4 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mexico Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- France Intro, 1 review, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zihuatanejo Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Cayucos Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Ventura Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- Beynac-et-Cazenac Intro, 2 photos
- Turkey Intro, 1 photo
- Paris Intro, 1 photo
FriendsSee All Friends (28)
Latest Brantôme hotel reviews
- Hostellerie du Perigord Vert
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 3, 2013