"Off Road Mecca" Top 5 Page for this destination Moab by KiKitC

Moab Travel Guide: 406 reviews and 1,059 photos

Moab Rocks!

The National Land Rover Rally was held in Moab, Utah this year. Moab is the home of the Jeep Jamboree and Easter Jeep Safari. There are numerous trails for off roaders of all difficulty levels.

We tried a number of different trails while out there, ones that brought us through red rock canyons, over petrified sand dunes, across creek bottoms, along cliff shelves and over boulders.

We trailered RedRover 2,200 miles each way for these trails, and their beauty and challenge was a winning combination.

Trails for All Levels

I'll admit. We didn't tow the truck that far to play on pavement or easy trails. Trail difficulty is rated on a scale of 1-10. 1 being easy and 10 being extreme. See my "Off the Beaten Path" for more detailed trail descriptions.

Day One, we rode Steel Bender - rated 7
Next we visited Top of the World - rated a 4 but offered a phenomenal view
Day Three, we conquered Hell's Revenge - technically rated a 4, but not for the faint of heart
Day Four, Kane Creek Canyon - rated 7
Next two days - Arches National Park - off road trail rated 3

Though we visited Moab for the off-roading mecca that it is, the rea also offers fabulous mountain biking (the famous Slickrock Bike Trail), hiking, rafting, camping and more.

After the Rally

Before we headed for the long trek home, we headed south to the Canyons of the Ancients. Last year, we planned to run these trails, and explore the many example of Indian ruins scattered throughout these canyons. But these trails require a high clearance 4 wheel drive vehicle, and RedRover had broken down at the rally in Montrose, so we were unable to visit many of the ruins.

This year, we were ready. And what an exploration it was. See my updated Canyons page (Dolores, CO) for expanded descriptions of the ruins you can visit.

• Pros:Trails of all kinds...
  • Cons:Too far away...
  • In a nutshell:Moab is the off road mecca...it ROCKS
  • Last visit to Moab: Sep 2008
  • Intro Updated Dec 23, 2009

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2010 at 1:12 PM

I love the red rock country of Utah! Great tips, very informative and interesting to read.

• donya.amini's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2009 at 4:40 AM

Thanks, it is very nice.

• XenoHumph's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2009 at 11:28 AM

Thanks for visiting my Moab page! Yours is great, the jeep trip looks fun!

• vtveen's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2009 at 3:17 AM

Great Moab page with fantastic photo's !!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2009 at 3:24 AM

By the sounds of it, and the photos, you had one heck of a good time here!

• pfsmalo's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2009 at 3:20 AM

Thanks for the visit Christine and the ratings. You can really get to some of those out of the way places with that "mean machine". Great NJ river pic on your HP

• MacedonianUK's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2009 at 3:30 AM

Your page made me wanting to join rally. i make sure to visit Moab, on my trip to Western US. Tanx Valentina

• mciril's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2009 at 10:43 AM

WOW what an experience and what a site you made out of it! Congratulations! Been in Moab last year and I realized what a offroad paradise it is! (I didn't tell my Defender I have been there: it had to stay at home in Europe!)

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2009 at 5:45 AM

Wonderful and interesting Moab page! The Hole N' the Rock and the Arches National Park certainly look interesting to visit and explore! Thanks for sharing. ~ho & pang

• omidamini's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2009 at 3:25 AM

Thanks for good information about Moab, you made nice Page.

KiKitC

“The Road Less Traveled?...that's a highway to me...”

Badges & Stats in Moab