"Off Road Mecca" Top 5 Page for this destination Moab by KiKitC
Moab Travel Guide: 417 reviews and 1,104 photos
The National Land Rover Rally was held in Moab, Utah this year. Moab is the home of the Jeep Jamboree and Easter Jeep Safari. There are numerous trails for off roaders of all difficulty levels.
We tried a number of different trails while out there, ones that brought us through red rock canyons, over petrified sand dunes, across creek bottoms, along cliff shelves and over boulders.
We trailered RedRover 2,200 miles each way for these trails, and their beauty and challenge was a winning combination.
I'll admit. We didn't tow the truck that far to play on pavement or easy trails. Trail difficulty is rated on a scale of 1-10. 1 being easy and 10 being extreme. See my "Off the Beaten Path" for more detailed trail descriptions.
Day One, we rode Steel Bender - rated 7
Next we visited Top of the World - rated a 4 but offered a phenomenal view
Day Three, we conquered Hell's Revenge - technically rated a 4, but not for the faint of heart
Day Four, Kane Creek Canyon - rated 7
Next two days - Arches National Park - off road trail rated 3
Though we visited Moab for the off-roading mecca that it is, the rea also offers fabulous mountain biking (the famous Slickrock Bike Trail), hiking, rafting, camping and more.
Before we headed for the long trek home, we headed south to the Canyons of the Ancients. Last year, we planned to run these trails, and explore the many example of Indian ruins scattered throughout these canyons. But these trails require a high clearance 4 wheel drive vehicle, and RedRover had broken down at the rally in Montrose, so we were unable to visit many of the ruins.
This year, we were ready. And what an exploration it was. See my updated Canyons page (Dolores, CO) for expanded descriptions of the ruins you can visit.
- Pros:Trails of all kinds...
- Cons:Too far away...
- In a nutshell:Moab is the off road mecca...it ROCKS
Within the Sand Flats Recreation Area, just northeast of Moab, the famous Slickrock Bike Trail will test your skills as... more travel advice
Arches National Park, in southern Utah, consists of 119 square miles and boasts over 2,000 natural sandstone arches. The... more travel advice
KiKitC's Related Pages
Moab Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Nucleus of Activity Close to Here"
- "Where adventure Begins"
- "Red Rock, Slick Rock, Arches and Canyons"
- "Off Road Mecca"
- "3 Days in Moab"
- "Moab, UT - Nature at Its Best!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Moab
- Hotels in Moab
- Transportation in Moab
- Nightlife in Moab
- Restaurants in Moab
- Shopping in Moab
- Warnings and Dangers in Moab
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Moab
- 15 Reviews
- 41 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Moab?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Moab
Photos in MoabSee All Photos (41)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arches National Park Intro, 23 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moab Intro, 15 reviews, 41 photos
- Hovenweep National Monument Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Burlington Intro, 15 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leadville Intro, 10 reviews, 35 photos
- Allaire State Park Intro, 17 reviews, 28 photos
- Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 6 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Atsion Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hilo Intro, 13 reviews, 21 photos
- Tabernacle Intro, 11 reviews, 23 photos