"Vistas around every bend..." Top 5 Page for this destination Arches National Park by KiKitC
Arches National Park Travel Guide: 649 reviews and 1,624 photos
While visiting Moab for a Land Rover Rally, it seemed a crime not to go to Arches National Park and see the iconic Utah arches. After all, it's just 5 miles north of Moab.
A handful of Rovers entered the park through the main entrance, and did the "tourist thing", driving on the asphalt to all the scenic overlooks and points of interest. We visited on a weekend, thus there was alot of traffic on the road. But, we weren't there for the asphalt roads...
After we had reached the end of the road, where it loops back from where you came, we turned onto the dirt roads in the western part of the park.
Sand Valley Road is just that, pretty flat, bulldozed and dirt/gravel mix. Once on Salt Valley Road, there is a turnoff for the trail leading to the Klondike Bluffs. The road here gets a little bit harder, and a high clearnace 4 wheel drive vehicle is highly recommended. There are sections of the road that have drop-offs and rock ledges.
Take Klondike Bluffs around the loop towards Tower Arch, then loop back around and take the trail southwards past Eye of the Whale Arch. This trail tees at Willow Flats Road. One way will take you back tot he asphalt road that winds through Arches National Park, the other way takes you through more interesting trails and even past dinosaur tracks. Willow Flats Road will then exit you onto Highway 191, about 17 miles north of Moab.
We visited Arches two days...for the trails mostly. One afternoon, just before sunset, while Gordie and I were alone on the trail, RedRover hit the 100,000 mile mark. What a way to do it!
The valley at sunset, alone with your soulmate...what could be more romantic?
For a great map of the park...visit Arches National Park's Map page
- Pros:Unique beauty and great trails
- Cons:Some trails require high clearance vehicles
- In a nutshell:Enjoy the beauty and solitude of Nature's Playground.
A secluded, less visited area of Arches National Park, one needs a high-clearance, 4-wheel drive vehicle or... more travel advice
Landscape Arch is considered the longest natural arch in the world, with a span maeasured at 290 feet. "LANDSCAPE ARCH,... more travel advice
KiKitC's Related Pages
Arches National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Arches NP - Arches Sandstone Wonderland"
- "Finding the Angles at Arches"
- "Arches National Park"
- "Vistas around every bend..."
- "Amazing Arches"
- "ARCHES NATIONAL PARK - UTAH"
- "Desert Gem"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Arches National Park
- Hotels in Arches National Park
- Transportation in Arches National Park
- Nightlife in Arches National Park
- Restaurants in Arches National Park
- Shopping in Arches National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Arches National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Arches National Park
- 23 Reviews
- 56 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Arches National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Arches National Park
- updated a Arches National Park Travel Page "Vistas around every bend..."
- Posted in Travel Mesa Verde National Park Forum "Re: Mesa Verde National Park -..."
- Commented on one of KimberlyAnn's Arches National Park travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Klondike Bluffs"
- Wrote a Review Klondike Bluffs in Arches National Park Sports & Outdoors
Photos in Arches National ParkSee All Photos (56)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arches National Park Intro, 23 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moab Intro, 15 reviews, 41 photos
- Hovenweep National Monument Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Burlington Intro, 15 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leadville Intro, 10 reviews, 35 photos
- Allaire State Park Intro, 17 reviews, 28 photos
- Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 6 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Atsion Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hilo Intro, 13 reviews, 21 photos
- Tabernacle Intro, 11 reviews, 23 photos