"Washington Crossed Here" Washington Crossing State Park by KiKitC
Washington Crossing State Park Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 12 photos
On December 25, 1776 General George Washington crossed the Delaware River here, with 2,400 troops, artillery and supplies, setting the stage for the Battle of Trenton, a decisive victory for the Continental Army in the American Revolutionary War.
Records indicate that a ferry was established here around 1700 for commerce and passenger transport. Washington used this existing ferry to bring all his troops across the Delaware River undetected, landing in New Jersey, in a strategic location. After nine miles of marching, Washington's men engaged the Hessian and British Army on December 26, 1776 at the Battle of Trenton, an important victory for the Continental Army.
In 1912, Washington Crossing State Park was established with 100 acres on the overlook of the ferry location where the troops landed. During the Great Depression in the 1930s, the park was further developed by the Work Projects Administration (WPA) and now includes 1,399 acres. The visitors' center has an impressive museum with Revolution Era relics, such as documentation, uniforms, muskets and cannonballs.
In addition to historic sites in the park, including the Johnson Ferry House and Nelson House, the park has historical hiking trails, picnicking, camping, fishing, bicycling and horseback riding.
You will receive a sticker to complete your Passport to Adventure, which is a scene from the Johnson Ferry House.
- Pros:Full of history
- In a nutshell:Walk in the Path of Washington's Victories!
This early 18th-century farmhouse & tavern near the Delaware River was owned by Garret Johnson, who operated a 490-acre... more travel advice
KiKitC's Related Pages
Washington Crossing State Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Washington Crossed Here"
- "Washington Crossing"
- "Basaic Washington Crossing State Park Page"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Washington Crossing State Park
- 3 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Washington Crossing State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Washington Crossing State Park
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arches National Park Intro, 23 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moab Intro, 15 reviews, 41 photos
- Hovenweep National Monument Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Burlington Intro, 15 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leadville Intro, 10 reviews, 35 photos
- Allaire State Park Intro, 17 reviews, 28 photos
- Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 6 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Atsion Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hilo Intro, 13 reviews, 21 photos
- Tabernacle Intro, 11 reviews, 23 photos