"An Historic New Jersey Seaport" Tuckerton by KiKitC

Tuckerton Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 12 photos

History before History

Even before the founding of Tuckerton in 1699, the indigenous Lenni Lenape Indians frequented this area for fishing and clamming. They would cross through the pine barrens and conduct meetings over great meals of oysters and clams.

The evidence of their stays can be seen at the Tuckerton Shell Mound, a pile of clam shells believed to be 1,500 years old!

Seaport

Today, Tuckerton is a southern Jersey recreational boating mecca. Due to the shallow waters of the bay and surrouding marsh lands, only smaller boats can get through.

But, visit the Tuckerton Seaport Museum to learn just how this town was once one of the largest seaports in our country.

The Old Tuckerton Stage Line

You can get to Tuckerton easily by following Route 9 south, but I prefer the old-fashioned way. The Indians followed the same path every year to the shore. When the Quakers settled the area, Tuckerton was the meeting place. So, the Quakers widened thepaths the Indians ued, to accomdate their wagons.

I've run the old Tuckerton Stage Line from the site of the Indian Reservation in Brotherton, through the pine barrens and ghost towns along the way...all the way to Tuckerton.

At some points, the old line has become part of our modern highway system, but some parts have become off limits or too overgrown, even for our vehicles. Chck my New Jersey pages for some of our ghost town visits along the route.

I'm trying to build my pages in between busy work schedules. This is jus tone of the pages that will get updated shortly.

• Pros:An Historic New Jersey Seaport
  • Cons:BUSY in the summer!
  • Last visit to Tuckerton: May 2009
  • Intro Updated Feb 2, 2010

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2010 at 10:12 PM

i never heard of this place but it looks really interesting.

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2009 at 5:38 PM

Christine, great interest story on the shell mound. Heck, I sit in one spot and eat all the clams I hold and fill a bucket with shells. I can imagine a whole group of people sitting down to one large clam bake, 1,000 of years ago. lol Larry

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2009 at 12:21 PM

very intetresting about those shell mounds

KiKitC

“The Road Less Traveled?...that's a highway to me...”

Badges & Stats in Tuckerton

Have you been to Tuckerton?