"An Historic New Jersey Seaport" Tuckerton by KiKitC
Tuckerton Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 12 photos
Even before the founding of Tuckerton in 1699, the indigenous Lenni Lenape Indians frequented this area for fishing and clamming. They would cross through the pine barrens and conduct meetings over great meals of oysters and clams.
The evidence of their stays can be seen at the Tuckerton Shell Mound, a pile of clam shells believed to be 1,500 years old!
Today, Tuckerton is a southern Jersey recreational boating mecca. Due to the shallow waters of the bay and surrouding marsh lands, only smaller boats can get through.
But, visit the Tuckerton Seaport Museum to learn just how this town was once one of the largest seaports in our country.
You can get to Tuckerton easily by following Route 9 south, but I prefer the old-fashioned way. The Indians followed the same path every year to the shore. When the Quakers settled the area, Tuckerton was the meeting place. So, the Quakers widened thepaths the Indians ued, to accomdate their wagons.
I've run the old Tuckerton Stage Line from the site of the Indian Reservation in Brotherton, through the pine barrens and ghost towns along the way...all the way to Tuckerton.
At some points, the old line has become part of our modern highway system, but some parts have become off limits or too overgrown, even for our vehicles. Chck my New Jersey pages for some of our ghost town visits along the route.
I'm trying to build my pages in between busy work schedules. This is jus tone of the pages that will get updated shortly.
- Pros:An Historic New Jersey Seaport
- Cons:BUSY in the summer!
Once travel became easier to the island areas of the marshland, the southern portion of Long Beach Island, owned by... more travel advice
The swamp lands that surround the Great Bay offer fanastic views, and attracts a lot of wildlife. The State is doing... more travel advice
KiKitC's Related Pages
Tuckerton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "An Historic New Jersey Seaport"
- "drjoynt's new Tuckerton page"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Tuckerton
- 4 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Tuckerton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tuckerton
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arches National Park Intro, 23 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moab Intro, 15 reviews, 41 photos
- Hovenweep National Monument Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Burlington Intro, 15 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leadville Intro, 10 reviews, 35 photos
- Allaire State Park Intro, 17 reviews, 28 photos
- Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 6 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Atsion Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hilo Intro, 13 reviews, 21 photos
- Tabernacle Intro, 11 reviews, 23 photos