"Where the Roads Crossed" Tabernacle by KiKitC
Tabernacle Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 23 photos
In 1778, a Presbyterian missionary named John Brainerd established the "Tabernacle in the Wilderness", a church primarily for the large Native American contingent in the area. The church sat at the intersection of roads, the hub for the local pine barren's area.
John Brainerd passed in 1781, but the strong community he helped build continued on. The log church he erected was used as a Methodist Church and school until a new school was built in 1885.
Soon, a town hall, post office, church, blacksmith and inn were built. Tabernacle is still a small town today, but it's people are big of heart and pride.
Tabernacle sits in the New Jersey Pine Barrens. The land around here was used mostly for cranberries and logging. This intersection of roads was the perfect spot to add the amenities a growing town needs for religion, goods and gossip. The contributed to this small area becoming a town.
Stop at the intersection of Carranza and Medford Roads, and you are in eye shot of many historic spots. Thanks to the Tabernacle Historical Society, there are many markers to remind us of history long gone. The Society has also restored buildings to give a glimpse of life in the 1700s Jersey.
- Pros:Full of History!
- In a nutshell:Tabernacle is a slice of New Jersey history
Conte Farms, at 299 Flyatt Road in Tabernacle, New Jersey, is a "pick-your own" farm and orchard. If you happen to miss... more travel advice
This Methodist Church, was built in 1880 under the guidance of Rev. George Reeves in Tabernacle, New Jersey. It has been... more travel advice
KiKitC's Related Pages
Tabernacle Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Tabernacle
- 11 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Tabernacle?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tabernacle
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arches National Park Intro, 23 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moab Intro, 15 reviews, 41 photos
- Hovenweep National Monument Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Burlington Intro, 15 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leadville Intro, 10 reviews, 35 photos
- Allaire State Park Intro, 17 reviews, 28 photos
- Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 6 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Atsion Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hilo Intro, 13 reviews, 21 photos
- Tabernacle Intro, 11 reviews, 23 photos