"Capital of the Pines" Chatsworth by KiKitC
Chatsworth Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 16 photos
This blunt warning isn't intended to be funny. Slow down, or you may blink and miss the town of Chatsworth...and their judge.
Chatsworth was a booming iron producing town in the late 1700s, producing cannon balls for the Revolutionary War. In the 1800s, cranberries were a major product. And in the late 1800s, Chatsworth was a resort destination for the rich.
"Left on this road is CHATSWORTH, 3 m. (95 alt.), a haven for deer hunters, with a Jersey Central R.R. station and a few straggling houses on the edge of the scrub wilderness....
--- New Jersey: A Guide to its Present and Past, 1939"
In the late 19th century, Chatsworth and surrounding southern Jersey towns were resort towns for the rich and famous of New York and Pennsylvania. The Shamong Inn is one of the oldest surviving inns in the pine barrens, providing service for stagecoach passengers, and later railroad passengers. The Blue Comet passenger train passed through Chatsworth, bringing passengers to Atlantic City in the early 20th century. Around the turn of the 20th century, Prince Mario Ruspoli, bought about 25,000 acres in the Pine Barrens with the idea of creating a resort on Lake Shamong. He renamed the area from Shamong to Chatsworth after the Duke of Devonshire's estate.
The Wading River has a variety of adventures for novice and advanced kayakers. The most navigable section of this river... more travel advice
On a very wet August night, the Blue Comet, carrying passengers from Red Bank to Atlantic City, derailed, injuring 37.... more travel advice
KiKitC's Related Pages
Chatsworth Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Chatsworth
- 7 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Chatsworth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chatsworth
- Wrote a Review Wading River from Speedwell to Beaver Branch in Chatsworth Sports & Outdoors
- Uploaded a Photo to "Wading River from Speedwell to Beaver Branch"
- updated a Chatsworth Travel Page "Capital of the Pines"
- Posted in Travel Mesa Verde National Park Forum "Re: Mesa Verde National Park -..."
- Commented on one of Rhondaj's Chatsworth travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arches National Park Intro, 23 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moab Intro, 15 reviews, 41 photos
- Hovenweep National Monument Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Burlington Intro, 15 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leadville Intro, 10 reviews, 35 photos
- Allaire State Park Intro, 17 reviews, 28 photos
- Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 6 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Atsion Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hilo Intro, 13 reviews, 21 photos
- Tabernacle Intro, 11 reviews, 23 photos