"Historical New Jersey Town" Burlington by KiKitC

Burlington Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 40 photos

Mixture of Old and New

Burlington is a bustling, river-side town with all the conveniences...and inconveniences of modern life.

But, just off Route 130, enter the historic district of Burlington, and let your imagination travel back in time...There's a lot of history to explore while walking down the once cobblestone pathways of this Historic Port Towne.

A Visit to this Historic Towne

Settled in 1685, the City of Burlington was once the Capital of West Jersey and third largest port in the New World. Historic buildings and artifacts dating back to the 17th century can be seen by visitors.

Historical sites include the homes of Revolutionary War soldier Oliver Cromwell and Civil War Gen'l. Ulysses S. Grant. The birthplace of James Fenimore Cooper and Naval hero Capt. James “Don’t Give Up the Ship” Lawrence. Many of these historic places are open to viewing to the public, but many are private estates.

A tour of this historic district will reveal, the first recorded European settlement in New Jersey, the County’s oldest residence,
New Jersey’s oldest fire company under the same name, Underground Railroad sites, the oldest Episcopal Church in New Jersey,
New Jersey’s oldest pharmacy in continuous operation, New Jersey’s oldest library in continuous operation and more.

Plan to spend a day.

I'm not done yet...there's a lot more to come. Stay tuned...

• Pros:Historic pre-revolutionary port towne
  • Cons:Modern day city
  • In a nutshell:This town played an important role in pre and post revolutionary American history.
  • Last visit to Burlington: Apr 2009
  • Intro Updated May 16, 2009

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2010 at 6:41 PM

Howdy Christine, I absolutely love places like this. The historical buildings are so charming and they all have such wonderful stories to tell. Lovely page!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2010 at 1:18 PM

I think I'd head straight for the James Fenimore Cooper house, because I used to devour his books when I was about fourteen. An elderly 2nd cousin of mine was convinced that we were related to U.S. Grant, so I guess I'd have a look at his house, too.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2010 at 9:51 AM

I wished I could have got to here on my visit in 10-2008. You did a nice presentation of the sites and detail information, and the pictures enhance very well. Keep it up.

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2009 at 6:09 PM

fascinating historical page - how many times did we blow past at 70mph on the turnpike and not realize what we were missing. third largest port - who would have guessed. love this history, great pictures. n.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2009 at 1:58 PM

Christine = your love of history shine in this page = enjoyed my virtual tour!

• wandeljp's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2009 at 5:03 AM

Your page remembers me my young time (so long ago) when I was already dreaming about great travel to the land of the mountains and water of the Mohican people. I did know you was coming to Europe. Looking forwards for more. Friendly, Jean-Pierre

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2009 at 4:12 PM

i look forward to reading your europe tips. this place is just too new for my taste. most of my family live in places twice as old as burlington !

KiKitC

“The Road Less Traveled?...that's a highway to me...”

Badges & Stats in Burlington

Have you been to Burlington?