"Historical New Jersey Town" Burlington by KiKitC
Burlington Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 40 photos
Burlington is a bustling, river-side town with all the conveniences...and inconveniences of modern life.
But, just off Route 130, enter the historic district of Burlington, and let your imagination travel back in time...There's a lot of history to explore while walking down the once cobblestone pathways of this Historic Port Towne.
Settled in 1685, the City of Burlington was once the Capital of West Jersey and third largest port in the New World. Historic buildings and artifacts dating back to the 17th century can be seen by visitors.
Historical sites include the homes of Revolutionary War soldier Oliver Cromwell and Civil War Gen'l. Ulysses S. Grant. The birthplace of James Fenimore Cooper and Naval hero Capt. James “Don’t Give Up the Ship” Lawrence. Many of these historic places are open to viewing to the public, but many are private estates.
A tour of this historic district will reveal, the first recorded European settlement in New Jersey, the County’s oldest residence,
New Jersey’s oldest fire company under the same name, Underground Railroad sites, the oldest Episcopal Church in New Jersey,
New Jersey’s oldest pharmacy in continuous operation, New Jersey’s oldest library in continuous operation and more.
Plan to spend a day.
I'm not done yet...there's a lot more to come. Stay tuned...
- Pros:Historic pre-revolutionary port towne
- Cons:Modern day city
- In a nutshell:This town played an important role in pre and post revolutionary American history.
Along the Riverbank, west of Wood Street, this marker indicates the site where the ship Shield, bringing new Settlers to... more travel advice
General Ulysses S. Grant brought his family here to escape harm during the Civil War. "The GENERAL GRANT HOUSE... more travel advice
KiKitC's Related Pages
Burlington Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Historical New Jersey Town"
- "Burlington Township, New Jersey"
- "Rankokus Indian Reservation"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Burlington
- 15 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Burlington?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Burlington
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arches National Park Intro, 23 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moab Intro, 15 reviews, 41 photos
- Hovenweep National Monument Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Burlington Intro, 15 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leadville Intro, 10 reviews, 35 photos
- Allaire State Park Intro, 17 reviews, 28 photos
- Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 6 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Atsion Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hilo Intro, 13 reviews, 21 photos
- Tabernacle Intro, 11 reviews, 23 photos