"Fast, yet Friendly City" Indianapolis by KiKitC

Indianapolis Travel Guide: 537 reviews and 916 photos

Home of Kiwanis International

Kiwanis International is a world-wide service organization focusing on the spiritual and emotional needs of the world's children. Their base is in Indianapolis. We attended the Kiwanis International Convention in Indianapolis in 2003. I loved everyday of the trip. The city is beautiful, the people are so polite and there's plenty to do.

And the Speedway

And the second most important "must see" (well to most its 1st) is a trip the the Indianapolis Speedway. The museum there is full of historic race cars, classic cars, motorcycles and trophies, trophies, trophies. And take the bus tour onto the track. Even if you aren't a big race fan, you'll be impressed.

• Pros:Never nothing to do
  • Cons:? ? ? If I think of one...
  • In a nutshell:Not just a race town
  • Last visit to Indianapolis: Jun 2003
  • Intro Written Feb 23, 2005

• MD2nd's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2010 at 1:07 AM

Wonderful Eiteljorg Museum tip! Thank you for the birthday greetings.

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2010 at 1:32 PM

Nice photos of the Indy 500 museum. I remember listening to the radio after WWII when Tony Hulman brought back the race and started it with "Gentlemen, start your engines." What a thrill.

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2009 at 9:22 AM

Wonderful Indianapolis travel page with lovely photographs. The museum and motor speedway certainly sound interesting. Thanks for visiting our Thailand travel page. ~ho & pang

• Doctor38's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2009 at 6:58 AM

I lived few years in Indianapolis. It is a great place. Thanks for sharing

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2007 at 11:37 PM

From far away, Indianapolis sounds like a racing track which eventually is sourrounded by a town! Glad to know this IS a real town;-))

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2006 at 8:49 AM

Thanks for visiting my NJ page. I only live about an hour south of Indianapolis, but I don't get up there as often as I should.

• BluBluBlu's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2006 at 4:00 AM

Interesting tips Christine! Happy travels, Blu

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2006 at 12:46 PM

i saw the massive cock-up last year at the GP on TV

• goingsolo's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2005 at 6:13 PM

Great histotical tips! Sorry I missed those sights. Went straight to the Dunes instead. :) Thanks for visiting my Yosemite page. A good one to add to your travel list, if you haven't been there yet.

KiKitC

“The Road Less Traveled?...that's a highway to me...”

Badges & Stats in Indianapolis

Have you been to Indianapolis?