"Mother Earth's Scarred Country" Top 5 Page for this destination Volcano by KiKitC

Volcano Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 94 photos

A trip to Volcano, on the Big Island of Hawaii, is like visiting another planet. Just before we hopped on a plane from Oahu, the park closed a huge section of the hiking area, as they believed a 26 mile piece of lava flow was about to break off. The island is ever changing, creating and dying all at once. It's a spiritual...emotional...humbling experience.

We stayed two nights in Hilo, which allowed us to travel the eastern island sights, and spend a day in Volcano. The trip to Volcano wasn't long at all, and you start in rainforest and travel through so many different temperate regions climbing to the top of the volcano.

If you are planning to go to Volcano, BRING WARM CLOTHES. Yep. You're on top of a mountain...it's cold. It rains often on this side of the island, so it's damp. Damp and Cold. That combination isn't fun when all you have on are shorts, sandals and tanks. With the huge cast on my hand, I couldn't wear anything with sleeves, so I ended up with a beach towel wrapped around me. Yeah, really tacky!

Once in the park, you have choices. You can drive around the craters, and/or down Chain of Craters Road. As I was still in such delicate condition after the accident in Maui, driving through was really our only choice. I had planned on trekking the many hiking trails through the volcanic park...but no way.

When you enter the park, of course, you come to the visitor center first. Stop. Use the facilities...there's alot of nothing ahead. (hint hint). I'm going to try and give you an idea of the highlights, but I may need to go back and look at the map I got at the visitor center. (after all, I was really on some heavy painkillers, some things are a little unclear.

The tips that I have included for Volcano are concentrated on the park, as I never went into the town of Volcano. But, there is enough for anyone, of any physical level, to spend days in the park.

Darn...I have to get to work. I will be back to finish the tale, give great tips and share photos...lots of photos. I'll be adding more tips...keep checking back.

• In a nutshell:This was like taking a trip to a distant planet...
  • Last visit to Volcano: Jul 2005
  • Intro Updated Jun 1, 2006

• RoyJava's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2010 at 4:11 AM

Still amazing Volcano area, creapy, a bit like the Tengger Hihglands, Indonesia, greets RoyJava

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2009 at 12:40 PM

Yep, looks like another planet! Beautiful photos and detail. Grazie, <(•¿•)>

• bijo69's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2009 at 3:05 PM

I love volcanic landscapes! It must have been a great experience to drive around there!

• AKtravelers's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Your excellent tip came up when I logged on. Didn't you love Hawaii Volcanoes Park!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2009 at 7:51 AM

Hi, Christine! You made a splendid trip there... Great views! Thanks for sharing!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2009 at 1:40 PM

Hola Christine, Wow, the Ancient Lava Tube must have been to fun and exciting to walk thru. I had no idea there was a place named Volcano, but it is befitting it is located in here.

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2008 at 9:02 AM

I missed the lava tubes when I was at Volcano NP before. Will be sure to see it next time. Karen and I plan to be there next December on our anniversary trip - her first visit to the Big Island. Thanks for the tips.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2008 at 3:27 PM

great stuff, waiting to find out how it works out...

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2007 at 3:50 AM

Travel is always tinged with regret = but reasons to return = strange but interesting place!

• toontraveller's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2007 at 6:26 AM

Hi Christine Fantastic isn't it, I love Kilauea. I just came back in November. I'll be reading your other tips when I get the chance. Rich

KiKitC

“The Road Less Traveled?...that's a highway to me...”

Badges & Stats in Volcano

Have you been to Volcano?