"Kona Coast Visit" Top 5 Page for this destination Kailua-Kona by KiKitC

Kailua-Kona Travel Guide: 360 reviews and 813 photos

We flew into the Kona airport, which is situated on a vast, barren lava field. We hopped in our car and headed south on 11. The traffis here is pretty heavy, as this is the major highway through the area. Most hotels on the Kona coast can be found on Ali'i Drive. The north end of the drive is where most of the major tourist attractions are, including the hoppin' the nightlife. It's here where you'll find the clubs, the Ironman Triathlon, the Atlantis Submarine, the King Kamehameha Hotel and Luau, and the Ahu'ena Heiau. Our hotel, the Keahou Beach Resort is down on the southern end, too far to walk for the nightlife hotspots. But on the southern end, back up on 11, there are many major stores and restaurants.

We stayed three days on this side of the island. I know I wasn't in top condition, but a week out of the hopital in Hawaii does wonders for the soul. We didn't have enough time to do everything we wanted, but made the most of it.

From this area, it is a good trip distance to the Painted Church, Pu'uhonau o Honaunau (Place of Refuge), Captain Cook's monument, and more. If you have a four wheel drive (and are competent enough to use it correctly) you can access black sand and green sand beaches down the southern end of the island. It is a pretty far drive to get down there...but hey, it's Hawaii, it's all beautiful.

• Pros:Many historical sights within driving distance
  • Cons:I'm not too keen on traffic
  • In a nutshell:A wonderous day, and hopping night...
  • Last visit to Kailua-Kona: Jul 2005
  • Intro Updated Apr 19, 2006

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Great tips. Thanks.

• leigh767's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2009 at 7:55 AM

Great tips, Christine. Wish every VT tip comes with phone, directions and website info just like yours!

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2009 at 5:22 AM

Christine, you are a trooper - still bouncing around with that bum arm. Thoroughly enjoyed this grand tour w/you. Great photos & detail. Grazie, Carol <(•¿•)>

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2009 at 6:14 PM

Nice photos of the "City of Refuge". I took the same shot between the two tikis in 1969. BTW, those trying to reach the area did it by canoe. Aloha

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2008 at 8:27 AM

I liked the idea of old and new Gods together & your little blue church is just heavenly

• Jerelis's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2008 at 3:50 AM

Gheee ... a nice trip back into memory lane! I like the sunset and Hulihe'e Palace! Great info and pics, thanx for sharing.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2008 at 4:13 AM

Hi, Christine!~ You have good pages here! Thanks!

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2007 at 3:24 AM

That sunset cruise looks so romantic. ;-)

• Mar 19, 2007 at 3:08 AM

I love the pic "Wonderful sunset" :)) ehhh It's romantic!

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2007 at 7:34 AM

i learnt alot on these tips - great stuff

KiKitC

“The Road Less Traveled?...that's a highway to me...”

Badges & Stats in Kailua-Kona

Have you been to Kailua-Kona?

Latest Activity in Kailua-Kona