"Kona Coast Visit" Top 5 Page for this destination Kailua-Kona by KiKitC
Kailua-Kona Travel Guide: 372 reviews and 868 photos
We flew into the Kona airport, which is situated on a vast, barren lava field. We hopped in our car and headed south on 11. The traffis here is pretty heavy, as this is the major highway through the area. Most hotels on the Kona coast can be found on Ali'i Drive. The north end of the drive is where most of the major tourist attractions are, including the hoppin' the nightlife. It's here where you'll find the clubs, the Ironman Triathlon, the Atlantis Submarine, the King Kamehameha Hotel and Luau, and the Ahu'ena Heiau. Our hotel, the Keahou Beach Resort is down on the southern end, too far to walk for the nightlife hotspots. But on the southern end, back up on 11, there are many major stores and restaurants.
We stayed three days on this side of the island. I know I wasn't in top condition, but a week out of the hopital in Hawaii does wonders for the soul. We didn't have enough time to do everything we wanted, but made the most of it.
From this area, it is a good trip distance to the Painted Church, Pu'uhonau o Honaunau (Place of Refuge), Captain Cook's monument, and more. If you have a four wheel drive (and are competent enough to use it correctly) you can access black sand and green sand beaches down the southern end of the island. It is a pretty far drive to get down there...but hey, it's Hawaii, it's all beautiful.
- Pros:Many historical sights within driving distance
- Cons:I'm not too keen on traffic
- In a nutshell:A wonderous day, and hopping night...
Traveling south on Ali'i Drive, you'll come to see an altar by the side of the water. This is Ku'emanu Heiau, and there... more travel advice
Saint Benedict's Catholic Church is known as the "painted church" and a short visit to this church will explain why it's... more travel advice
KiKitC's Related Pages
Kailua-Kona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kona Coast Visit"
- "A Fun Day in Kona"
- "Where Pele lives"
- "Kona Coast"
- "Kona and Kau"
- "Hawaii Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kailua-Kona
- Hotels in Kailua-Kona
- Transportation in Kailua-Kona
- Nightlife in Kailua-Kona
- Restaurants in Kailua-Kona
- Shopping in Kailua-Kona
- Warnings and Dangers in Kailua-Kona
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kailua-Kona
- 11 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Kailua-Kona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kailua-Kona
Photos in Kailua-KonaSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arches National Park Intro, 23 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moab Intro, 15 reviews, 41 photos
- Hovenweep National Monument Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Burlington Intro, 15 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leadville Intro, 10 reviews, 35 photos
- Allaire State Park Intro, 17 reviews, 28 photos
- Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 6 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Atsion Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hilo Intro, 13 reviews, 21 photos
- Tabernacle Intro, 11 reviews, 23 photos