"Rainforest Trip" Top 5 Page for this destination Hilo by KiKitC

Hilo Travel Guide: 250 reviews and 536 photos

Launch your day trips from this historic town

Hilo is on the rainforest side of the island, which has its pros and cons. It's a rainforest...it rains...alot. But, that makes for wonderful waterfalls and Eden-like gardens. The Hilo bayfront was the site of two tsunamis in 1946 and 1960. Now, instead of a town, the bayfront is park. Expect to get rained on while here, but this is a good launching site for many great day trips. Can't get a spot in Volcano? It's just a short trip from Hilo. Also, it took about one and a half hours of driving to get to Waipi'o Valley, if you have four wheel-er and know how to really use it, there's a road into the valley, but it's insanely steep.

This was the last leg of our trip. By now I had learned how to move around with the pins in my hand and this huge club-like cast and we actually did quite alot for someone just out of the hospital. We spent our nights in a "spirited" hotel room, had the best Italian food I've ever had (sorry Grandma), and had to say good-bye to Hawaii here.

From here, it's a very short trip to Rainbow Falls, Pe'epe'e Falls, the Boiling Pots, Pu'u 'O'o hike, Kaumana Cave, Akaka Falls State Park and Onomea Bay.

• Pros:Great location, lots of history, great food
  • Cons:Had to say good-bye here.
  • Last visit to Hilo: Jul 2005
  • Intro Updated Apr 19, 2006

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2010 at 12:53 AM

Aloha Christine, love the Falls tips. First time I was on the Big Island, I only saw the Kahuna Falls and left, thinking I saw Akaka Falls. Second time, I found out that Akaka Falls was a longer walk and also 300 feet higher. lol

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2009 at 2:12 PM

Lovely page = I would so enjoy the sights of the water falls!

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2009 at 12:38 PM

Was just on Skype with a friend who was talking about these falls! Will probably be back again. Ciao <(•¿•)>

• AKtravelers's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2009 at 11:23 PM

I like your tip on the scenic drive north of Hilo. It's beautiful, but you have to beware of mosquitoes!

• MacedonianUK's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2009 at 3:39 AM

Those waterfals & caves sure look amazing. One day(hopefuly soon) I will visit Hilo. Tanx for great page. Valentina

• omidamini's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2009 at 4:36 AM

wow, wow very nice waterfall, thanks alot for your information and pic's.

• RoyJava's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2009 at 11:21 PM

Amazing Hilo VT Pages Christine, tnx 4 share, enjoyed to read and see your contribution, great, greets RoyJava

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2008 at 10:09 AM

Christine, your pages fill me with traveling inspiration...Thanks! Take care!

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Dec 25, 2007 at 5:43 PM

Awesome pix Christine!! Amazing country...but also scary :o) Great read! Cheers, Ann :o)

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2007 at 5:18 PM

Excellent page and very nice photos. Now go change your armor! ;o)

KiKitC

“The Road Less Traveled?...that's a highway to me...”

Badges & Stats in Hilo