"Rainforest Trip" Top 5 Page for this destination Hilo by KiKitC
Hilo Travel Guide: 250 reviews and 542 photos
Hilo is on the rainforest side of the island, which has its pros and cons. It's a rainforest...it rains...alot. But, that makes for wonderful waterfalls and Eden-like gardens. The Hilo bayfront was the site of two tsunamis in 1946 and 1960. Now, instead of a town, the bayfront is park. Expect to get rained on while here, but this is a good launching site for many great day trips. Can't get a spot in Volcano? It's just a short trip from Hilo. Also, it took about one and a half hours of driving to get to Waipi'o Valley, if you have four wheel-er and know how to really use it, there's a road into the valley, but it's insanely steep.
This was the last leg of our trip. By now I had learned how to move around with the pins in my hand and this huge club-like cast and we actually did quite alot for someone just out of the hospital. We spent our nights in a "spirited" hotel room, had the best Italian food I've ever had (sorry Grandma), and had to say good-bye to Hawaii here.
From here, it's a very short trip to Rainbow Falls, Pe'epe'e Falls, the Boiling Pots, Pu'u 'O'o hike, Kaumana Cave, Akaka Falls State Park and Onomea Bay.
- Pros:Great location, lots of history, great food
- Cons:Had to say good-bye here.
Driving into Hilo, it's impossible to miss the exapnsive park along the bay. We learned later that the bayfront used to... more travel advice
On Banyan Drive, right next to the Hilo Hawaiian Hotel, there is a quanit Japanese garden, dedicated to Queen... more travel advice
KiKitC's Related Pages
Hilo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Business Center of the Big Island"
- "The lush windward coast"
- "Big Island - Big Sights"
- "Rainforest Trip"
- "Hilo and surroundings"
- "Hilo - the rainiest city in the United States?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hilo
- Hotels in Hilo
- Transportation in Hilo
- Nightlife in Hilo
- Restaurants in Hilo
- Shopping in Hilo
- Warnings and Dangers in Hilo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hilo
- 13 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Hilo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hilo
Photos in HiloSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arches National Park Intro, 23 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moab Intro, 15 reviews, 41 photos
- Hovenweep National Monument Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Burlington Intro, 15 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leadville Intro, 10 reviews, 35 photos
- Allaire State Park Intro, 17 reviews, 28 photos
- Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 6 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Atsion Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hilo Intro, 13 reviews, 21 photos
- Tabernacle Intro, 11 reviews, 23 photos