"A Quiet American Gem" Fort Delaware State Park by KiKitC
Fort Delaware State Park Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 29 photos
In 1817, Fort Delaware on Pea Patch Island was orignally built for protection of the ports of Wilmington and Philadelphia, but soon became a feared prison for Confederate Soldiers during the Civil War.
Today, Fort Delaware State Park is a fabulous day trip into American History. The amazing pentagonal-shaped stone fort has been restored and houses a museum and living history exhibits...see tips.
The island itself is a bird sanctuary as well, and can be a birdwatcher's dream...
Volunteers at the park, dressed in period garb, reenact life at the fort in 1864. Each "character" is based on a real person who was housed or prisoned here. Artillery and 19th century lifestyle demonstrations are conducted throughout the day. Vistors can walk through the fort, including the officers quarters, mess hall, kitchens and cannon turrets.
Don't go away...there's MORE!
- In a nutshell:A fantastic exhibit of Civil War History
When the fort was turned over to the state in 1947, much of the fort was vandalized. Piles of plaster had fallen from... more travel advice
A lot of restoration has been done to room within the fort that housed and served the enlisted men. You can visit the... more travel advice
KiKitC's Related Pages
Fort Delaware State Park Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Fort Delaware State Park
- Transportation in Fort Delaware State Park
- Nightlife in Fort Delaware State Park
- Restaurants in Fort Delaware State Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fort Delaware State Park
- 6 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Fort Delaware State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fort Delaware State Park
Photos in Fort Delaware State ParkSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arches National Park Intro, 23 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moab Intro, 15 reviews, 41 photos
- Hovenweep National Monument Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Burlington Intro, 15 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leadville Intro, 10 reviews, 35 photos
- Allaire State Park Intro, 17 reviews, 28 photos
- Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 6 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Atsion Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hilo Intro, 13 reviews, 21 photos
- Tabernacle Intro, 11 reviews, 23 photos