"Home of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison" Montrose by KiKitC
Montrose Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 22 photos
Montrose, Colorado is the home of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. In town for a Land Rover rally, we arrived a day early. The entrance to the Black Canyon was just six miles down the road...worth seeing.
See my page for...Black Canyon of the Gunnison
Montrose is also home to the Ute Indian Museum...which sits on the land that was once the homestead of Chief Ouray and his wife Chipeta...champions of the Native American people's cause. The museum pays great tribute to these great souls...see my "Things to do" tips.
We stayed in Montrose for five days, heading out to trails in all directions...into various terrains and adventures. We headed South towards Ouray, and hit trails on the Alpine Loop and into Yankee's Basin..
Trails north towards Grand Junction offered a peek into the desert, arch region on Utah's border...
- Pros:Centrally located for many off road adventures
- In a nutshell:A fantastic starting point for many adventures...
A new song for Jimmy Buffett..."Changes in Altitudes, Changes in Attitudes" The rally organizers warned us all about... more travel advice
What's so special? Well, before we left for Colorado, anyone that had been to Montrose told us we had to try it. Once we... more travel advice
KiKitC's Related Pages
Montrose Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison"
- "Basaic Montrose Page"
- "Small Town, but growing"
- "Gateway to the Black Canyon"
- "Black Canyon of the Gunnison"
- "anotherpath's new Montrose Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Montrose
- Hotels in Montrose
- Restaurants in Montrose
- Warnings and Dangers in Montrose
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Montrose
- 4 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Montrose?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Montrose
Photos in MontroseSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arches National Park Intro, 23 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moab Intro, 15 reviews, 41 photos
- Hovenweep National Monument Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Burlington Intro, 15 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leadville Intro, 10 reviews, 35 photos
- Allaire State Park Intro, 17 reviews, 28 photos
- Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 6 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Atsion Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hilo Intro, 13 reviews, 21 photos
- Tabernacle Intro, 11 reviews, 23 photos