"3,000 miles in 3 days!" Top 5 Page for this destination Modesto by KiKitC

Modesto Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 26 photos

It's always sad to see a friend go. But I really don't think they could have moved any further away then all the way across the country from us. They had three days to get to California so the kids could start school on time. One problem...three vehicles, two drivers. My husband and I drove one vehicle and they the other, and we started the 3,000 mile trek, covering at least 1,000 miles a day.

Obviously, we began in NJ, crossed Pennsylvania in its entirity, Ohio, Indiana and Illinois in one day! Yee Ha. (The cornfield was beautiful)

The next day, we crossed Iowa and Nebraska and stopped in Wyoming for the night. (Finally got out of that cornfield that started in Indiana)

After a fantastic breakfast of biscuits and gravy in Wyoming, we headed West again for the last leg of the journey. Crossing through Utah and Nevada, we finally reached California. Unfortunately, when we reached the beautiful mountains of Western Cali, the sun had already set. I'll go back again someday.

Driving across country is an incredible journey. There is just so much country to see here. It's just a shame we couldn't take any time to look around and enjoy it. 1,000 miles per day meant 14 hour driving days, and no time for sightseeing.

We left New Jersey on Friday at 7:00 am, and here we are in Modesto, California at 10:30 pm on Sunday! YeeHaw, what a ride. I-80 all the way.

Only wish we could have taken time out to see the country as we crossed it.

• Last visit to Modesto: Aug 2005
  • Intro Updated Sep 8, 2007

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2009 at 5:20 PM

Excellent introduction which takes the reader along with you on this incredible journey across America via Route 80.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2007 at 2:37 AM

Wow, a great trip! I never did such a long drive !

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2006 at 4:49 AM

Wow, you had really looong road trip across the USA :-)

KiKitC

“The Road Less Traveled?...that's a highway to me...”

Badges & Stats in Modesto

Have you been to Modesto?