"Maui Wowee - Maui Owee" Maui by KiKitC

Maui Travel Guide: 1,632 reviews and 4,435 photos

Heal the Body - Heal the Soul

Most people would associate a ride into "heaven on Earth" as a life changing experience. For us, life has more meaning. Maui was the first stop on our 15 day, three island tour. The 2nd day of our vacation, a freak motorcyle accident drastically changed our plans, and outlook on life. (See Warnings section). But, if you had to recover anywhere, Hawaii cannot be beat.

I've been told that the islands have healing powers and is the land of "regrowth". I am now a firm believer.

A freak gust of wind tried to blow us off the side of Haleakala. We didn't go over, obviously, but that's when the angels came into play.

The first car that came by had a doctor in it. Hawaii attracts the greatest hand surgeons. The people here did everything to make me comfortable and safe. I'll never forget them.

Smaller - Scenic Maui

Some sections of Maui that haven't been over developed, commercialized or populated offer some of the most intense views and memories. Some of the roads we traveled the car rental places do not want you to go to. All I've got to say is this...there are A LOT of drivers that have no business on those roads. They will get hurt. (ps we did not wreck on these roads) When the map says narrow one lane roads, they are narrow. Hairpin turns, the sharpest I've seen, steep inclines, no guardrails and very narrow. Stick to Hana if you're uneasy.

• Pros:Beautiful Views, Beautiful People, Great Hospital
  • Cons:Need for the great hospital
  • In a nutshell:If you cannot find spiritual peace here - you're not looking.
  • Last visit to Maui: Jun 2005
  • Intro Updated Sep 10, 2005

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2009 at 3:59 PM

Wow Christine you are so lucky to have survived that accident! Hope you had travel insurance. The snorkelling at Honolua Bay looks great- clear calm water.

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2008 at 8:00 AM

HI- I can relate; when my husband and i were newly married and lived on Oahu, he took his bike over to Maui and had a head-on on a curve w/a truck;unconscious, in hospital and a cast for months from thigh to ankle, etc. Glad you weren't too badly injured!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2008 at 4:05 AM

Live changing is right! Your descriptive narratives transport the reader to Maui...helpful, more than interesting, with the added bonus of fantastic photos. Admire your great outlook despite the accident.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2007 at 7:55 AM

Kahakuloa Point looks great :-) Thanks for all the warnings, especially on car rental... I hope to be more lucky whenever I go to Maui.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2006 at 9:14 PM

A bike accident and half a dozen dirty jeeps, what a program! I was more lucky in Maui and had great time on roads where we should not have gone :-))

• imran8852's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2006 at 12:46 AM

Hi Christine! Nice page...You are so lucky to have a friend like Bolo...So sad to know that he's gone:-(

• RoyJava's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2006 at 2:11 PM

Great VT Maui pages, tnq for share, even the Dollar jeep didn't work... greetzzz RoyJava

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2006 at 2:13 PM

wow, great page

• windsorgirl's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2006 at 5:41 AM

Sorry to hear about your accident, but glad that you still enjoyed Maui. Have a great time in Utah.....and drive carefully!

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2006 at 9:34 AM

Always enjoy these HI pages - will be back. Ciao, Carol

KiKitC

“The Road Less Traveled?...that's a highway to me...”

Badges & Stats in Maui