"Oahu Recovery" Oahu by KiKitC

Oahu Travel Guide: 4,241 reviews and 10,660 photos

Waikiki Escape

Why Waikiki? The Kiwanis International convention was being held here this year. Waikiki is a city, with beautiful beaches, great shopping, exciting nightlife and great restaurants. I can see this being a great place for singles, students and honeymoon couples. My Oahu visit was the first stop after being released from the hospital. I hardly left our room for two days.

One of the best things about Waikiki is that you do not have to walk far for anything. There's an ABC store (general goods and gifts) on every corner. We would go down, get some iced tea and fresh cut pineapple and sit on the lanai watching the surfers and catamarans.

Beginning of altered agenda

After a couple of days, I had enough strength (and painkillers) to venture out of the hotel for short driving trips. We took the trip around the east side, past Diamond Head and around to the North Shore. Around every curve is another spectacular view. We drove and gawked until our eyeballs hurt.

Share the Paradise, and the Road

Oahu is beautiful, but the greatest drawback is simply the number of people. We visited because the convention was there. Even leaving the city behind, you are bottled in traffic, of hundreds of lookers. All of the spots popular for vacationers are easily identified by miles of parked cars on the side of the road and backed up traffic. But, stay in Aloha mode, and sit back and enjoy the views.

• Pros:The views are fantastic
  • Cons:You share it with a citiful of people
  • In a nutshell:Its Hawaii City.
  • Last visit to Oahu: Jul 2005
  • Intro Updated Mar 31, 2007

• RoyJava's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2010 at 4:06 AM

Thanks Christine, for your visit, B-day wish and rates. Born in Indonesia we love the Hawaii islands, hope to get there once, greets Roy

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2009 at 5:28 AM

Outstanding photos and info - this I could do! As I tour HA w/you I become more anxious for news about your arm than the sightseeing. Ciao <(•¿•)>

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2009 at 2:11 PM

Aloha Christine, I lived in Kaneohe for over a year. Paradise. Beautiful photos and the one on the overview of the beach east side is Halona Cove "here to Eternity kiss" scene, next to the Halona Blowhole. Larry

• CaptainLarry's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2009 at 8:32 AM

Yeah, you're never more than 100 yards from an ABC Store.

• sikorka's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2008 at 5:26 AM

Ciao Christine, thanks for visiting my Amalfi page. It was a pleasure for me to read your tips about Oahu, it reminded me about holidays I spent there long time ago :)

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2007 at 9:06 PM

Great experience! I wouldn't mind going there!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2007 at 9:01 AM

Nice place to speed your recovery = the scenery looks amazing

• thecatsmeow's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2007 at 11:15 AM

I am sure being in such a lovely place helped you recoup after your accident. Nice page with some good pics! 10 days and I am there! Hello from Washougal. Joyce

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2007 at 4:30 AM

What a great place to recover! A Waikiki Experience on a Fargo budget sounds good to me.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2007 at 8:07 AM

Beautiful views there, indeed! Great hotel and restaurant tips. It seems that Japanese food is good choice in Oahu.

KiKitC

“The Road Less Traveled?...that's a highway to me...”

Badges & Stats in Oahu