"A taste of Japan" Narita by flynboxes
Narita Travel Guide: 133 reviews and 237 photos
Yes I have been to Japan in the past with a JR (japan rail) pass and saw a fair amount of the country. This time I was here for work hence my hotel tips are a bit more upscale than usual. Was here for a week doing some training so with my days full I had a few hours each evening to head out and about. Narita is a formal rural town that was more or less put on the international map when Narita International Airport was built here and not without protest from the locals. NRT airport was completed and opened in 1978 to stop conjestion near the city of Tokyo and Haneda airport which recently opened back up to international flights.
If you have a long layover of 6 hours or a day or two you can catch the local train to Keisei station from the airport for a couple of bucks and walk around part Narita. (Most hotels offer free shuttle buses to Keisei ro the JR station which is spitting distance away and to the Aeon Mall). Most of the interesting parts of the city can been seen by walking down Ipponmatsu-dori and Omotesando Sts. I did it both during the day and night. Keep in mind that most shops on these streets don't open on weekends till 10am.
Asa other VT members have said...Naritasan park is a great way to see a park in Japan (and temples) while avoiding the crowds of Tokyo. The only crowd I saw here was at the gate..a group of Italian tourists. It's a great place to bring a box lunch and enjoy the afternoon while experiencing a little local culture.
- Pros:Less crowded than Tokyo and just as nice.
- Cons:Money can been tough to get here.
- In a nutshell:A great intro to Japan
Subway/ocal train is the cheap and fast way to get to Narita city from the airport. The station is in the middle of town... more travel advice
This was one of the larger places around Narita city....not a small cozy place like the other mom and pop places but it... more travel advice
flynboxes' Related Pages
Narita Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "What lies Beyond Narita Airport"
- "Narita more than just an airport"
- "My 1st and Last Drop in Japan"
- "NARITA - Aviation crossroads"
- "Narita - Stopover"
- "Narita, is the gateway to Japan"
- "Japan's Airport Town that serves Tokyo"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Narita
- Hotels in Narita
- Transportation in Narita
- Nightlife in Narita
- Restaurants in Narita
- Shopping in Narita
- Warnings and Dangers in Narita
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Narita
- 10 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Narita?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Narita
Top 10 Pages
- Cuzco Intro, 21 reviews, 57 photos
- Two Harbors Intro, 27 reviews, 51 photos
- Khartoum Intro, 17 reviews, 47 photos
- Timbuktu Intro, 15 reviews, 45 photos
- Aruba Intro, 17 reviews, 41 photos
- Rancho Palos Verdes Intro, 11 reviews, 46 photos
- Suakin Island Intro, 9 reviews, 40 photos
- Harer Intro, 11 reviews, 35 photos
- Antigua Guatemala Intro, 13 reviews, 31 photos
- Los Angeles 11 reviews, 27 photos
Latest Narita hotel reviews
- Narita Airport Washington Hotel
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- Hotel Nikko Narita
- 191 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 15, 2013
- Radisson Hotel Narita Airport
- 127 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 11, 2013
- Hilton Tokyo Narita Airport Hotel
- 390 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 16, 2013
- Comfort Hotel Narita
- 44 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 25, 2013
- Kirinoya Ryokan
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 24, 2013
- Toyoko Inn Narita Kuko
- 35 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 5, 2013
- International Garden Hotel Narita
- 70 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 29, 2013
- Holiday Inn Tobu Narita
- 175 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 28, 2013
- Narita Excel Hotel Tokyu
- 122 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 9, 2013
- International Guesthouse AZURE Narita
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 27, 2013