"Dubai..the city I love to hate" Dubai by flynboxes
Dubai Travel Guide: 4,015 reviews and 11,727 photos
That is what Dubai reminds me of with all the new buildings going up...and now since they have overbuilt it might just stop for a bit. One fun thing to do in Dubai is find a local...the locals only make up around 20% of the population at best..the rest are the folks from India, Bangladesh, etc who tend to be employed in the contruction trades and live outside the city in places like Sharjah. I have been here twice....the third time did not count since I never left the airport. The photos I have now are from spending the better part of a day riding around on the Big Bus Tour while I waited for my flight that left later at night. I would like to say this is a city with no soul but I think I could find it if I spent more time here as right now it just seems like an semi exotic alternative to the Costa Del Sol for many Europeans who have the money to by something here.
Last time I was here in 07 on my way home from Yemen...Dubai was the "It" City....if you were cool this is a place you had to have visited. Buildings/hotles were going up left and right and it jobs were abundant...times have changed and this is no longer the case..you still might not be able to find many locals on the street but what you will see is large "For Let" signs on many of the buildings here. I do not know the exact vacancy rate here but would imagine it is quite high now that the recession has hit the Emirates.
Even though the economy is crumbling a bit I still cannot afford this place. Kinda like Beverly Hills back home....the one thing I do like is the waterfront at Dubai Creek which is all lit up at night and all the water taxis that shoot across at night..wish I had gotten some better photos of it as it is the one thing I will remember fondly about the place
- Pros:Have to see it to believe it....
- Cons:Too fake for my tastes
- In a nutshell:A great place to spend a day or two while flying thru DXB.
flynboxes' Related Pages
Dubai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "DUBAI - A HOTCHPOTCH OF CULTURES"
- "Dynamic, ever-changing, friendly, exciting..."
- "Dubai...In A Fast Moving Phase"
- "Dubai Jewel of the Gulf"
- "Dubai is ......Dubai!"
- "A hot time in Dubai town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dubai
- Hotels in Dubai
- Transportation in Dubai
- Nightlife in Dubai
- Restaurants in Dubai
- Shopping in Dubai
- Warnings and Dangers in Dubai
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dubai
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Dubai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dubai
Top 10 Pages
- Cuzco Intro, 21 reviews, 57 photos
- Two Harbors Intro, 27 reviews, 51 photos
- Khartoum Intro, 17 reviews, 47 photos
- Timbuktu Intro, 15 reviews, 45 photos
- Aruba Intro, 17 reviews, 41 photos
- Rancho Palos Verdes Intro, 11 reviews, 46 photos
- Suakin Island Intro, 9 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harer Intro, 11 reviews, 35 photos
- Antigua Guatemala Intro, 13 reviews, 31 photos
- Los Angeles 11 reviews, 27 photos