"Dubai..the city I love to hate" Dubai by flynboxes

Dubai Travel Guide: 3,943 reviews and 11,516 photos

Vegas by the sea

That is what Dubai reminds me of with all the new buildings going up...and now since they have overbuilt it might just stop for a bit. One fun thing to do in Dubai is find a local...the locals only make up around 20% of the population at best..the rest are the folks from India, Bangladesh, etc who tend to be employed in the contruction trades and live outside the city in places like Sharjah. I have been here twice....the third time did not count since I never left the airport. The photos I have now are from spending the better part of a day riding around on the Big Bus Tour while I waited for my flight that left later at night. I would like to say this is a city with no soul but I think I could find it if I spent more time here as right now it just seems like an semi exotic alternative to the Costa Del Sol for many Europeans who have the money to by something here.

Want to rent some office space?

Last time I was here in 07 on my way home from Yemen...Dubai was the "It" City....if you were cool this is a place you had to have visited. Buildings/hotles were going up left and right and it jobs were abundant...times have changed and this is no longer the case..you still might not be able to find many locals on the street but what you will see is large "For Let" signs on many of the buildings here. I do not know the exact vacancy rate here but would imagine it is quite high now that the recession has hit the Emirates.

Cheap fun

Even though the economy is crumbling a bit I still cannot afford this place. Kinda like Beverly Hills back home....the one thing I do like is the waterfront at Dubai Creek which is all lit up at night and all the water taxis that shoot across at night..wish I had gotten some better photos of it as it is the one thing I will remember fondly about the place

• Pros:Have to see it to believe it....
  • Cons:Too fake for my tastes
  • In a nutshell:A great place to spend a day or two while flying thru DXB.
  • Last visit to Dubai: Nov 2009
  • Intro Updated Nov 30, 2009

Comments

flynboxes

“There are too many Americans in Antigua..heard from an Austrian girl in Hawaii Park, Guatemala”

Badges & Stats in Dubai