"Why????" Meroe by flynboxes

Meroe Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 167 photos

Meroe? Where the h...is that

A couple hours N. of Khartoum is where you will find pryamids that predate most found in Egypt (if you want the skinny on the site check out VT memeber Uglyscot's page. Long and skinny from me was that it was hot/arid here but worth the visit. I was the only tourist there that day and walking on the dunes that surround the place was great...only my size 13's in the sand. Once you arrive you pay a small entrance fee where they will either try and sell you a camel ride or some other tourist trinkets. I passed on the trinkets but gave into to the camel ride..hey, gotta do stupid tourist things every now and then...see my tip about the camel ride. You can also walk the site but the camel in not that expensive considering the heat. There are two sets up ruins (pyramids) and you can see both in an hour or so...if you are really into it...you could spend a couple hours or a half day..just bring lunch and fluids.

Don't expect to be enlightened buy any of my tips here. Sorry but I did not take good notes here as I did not pay for a guide or do proper homework prior to visiting..I may research the place in the future to learn more about what I saw...just don't hold your breath on seeing it posted here.
My tips on things to do just display the pics I took and with any luck they might motivate you to go see it for yourself. If you then mission accomplished in my book - got someone off their bum and out to an interesting an unique place ; )

• Pros:Nothing else like it
  • Cons:None..if you are in Sudan - head out here
  • In a nutshell:Could be a place for a spiritual moment?
  • Last visit to Meroe: Oct 2009
  • Intro Written Sep 18, 2010

Comments

flynboxes

“There are too many Americans in Antigua..heard from an Austrian girl in Hawaii Park, Guatemala”

Badges & Stats in Meroe