"Why????" Meroe by flynboxes
Meroe Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 159 photos
A couple hours N. of Khartoum is where you will find pryamids that predate most found in Egypt (if you want the skinny on the site check out VT memeber Uglyscot's page. Long and skinny from me was that it was hot/arid here but worth the visit. I was the only tourist there that day and walking on the dunes that surround the place was great...only my size 13's in the sand. Once you arrive you pay a small entrance fee where they will either try and sell you a camel ride or some other tourist trinkets. I passed on the trinkets but gave into to the camel ride..hey, gotta do stupid tourist things every now and then...see my tip about the camel ride. You can also walk the site but the camel in not that expensive considering the heat. There are two sets up ruins (pyramids) and you can see both in an hour or so...if you are really into it...you could spend a couple hours or a half day..just bring lunch and fluids.
Don't expect to be enlightened buy any of my tips here. Sorry but I did not take good notes here as I did not pay for a guide or do proper homework prior to visiting..I may research the place in the future to learn more about what I saw...just don't hold your breath on seeing it posted here.
My tips on things to do just display the pics I took and with any luck they might motivate you to go see it for yourself. If you then mission accomplished in my book - got someone off their bum and out to an interesting an unique place ; )
- Pros:Nothing else like it
- Cons:None..if you are in Sudan - head out here
- In a nutshell:Could be a place for a spiritual moment?
In an attempt to draw tourist the Gov't build some pyramids at the site out of cement to show folks what the pyramids... more travel advice
Nothing? Yep, you can do the same thing here as you can in Giza except you don't have to walk a 100 yards or so hunched... more travel advice
flynboxes' Related Pages
Meroe Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Kush Kingdom"
- "The pyramids"
- "The Pyramids of Meroe, at Bajrawiya"
- "Ancient Meroe"
- "Merowe [not Meroe]"
- "The Royal City of broken old teeth"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Meroe
- Hotels in Meroe
- Transportation in Meroe
- Restaurants in Meroe
- Shopping in Meroe
- Warnings and Dangers in Meroe
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Meroe
- 7 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Meroe?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Meroe
Photos in MeroeSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Cuzco Intro, 21 reviews, 57 photos
- Two Harbors Intro, 27 reviews, 51 photos
- Khartoum Intro, 17 reviews, 47 photos
- Timbuktu Intro, 15 reviews, 45 photos
- Aruba Intro, 17 reviews, 41 photos
- Rancho Palos Verdes Intro, 11 reviews, 46 photos
- Suakin Island Intro, 9 reviews, 40 photos
- Harer Intro, 11 reviews, 35 photos
- Antigua Guatemala Intro, 13 reviews, 31 photos
- Los Angeles 11 reviews, 27 photos