"Towering Shibam" Top 5 Page for this destination Shibam by flynboxes
Shibam Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 88 photos
This was one of those places I wanted to see after coming across it in a book I was reading. While it is impressive this place could be a little better.
Getting photos in here means you have to do a bit of editing if you are looking for shots that you cannot date. While there has been considerable restoration work done to it there are condit lines and power lines criss-crossing the whole city which is not all that big. Maybe in the future they will either cover the pipes with mud or bury then in the ground.
If you are lucky one of the locals will invite you inside. I did not get this chance but had friends that did and they were very impressed.
Update.......After visiting Mali in 08' and walking around Djenne.....I have to say this place is pretty clean in comparison and you do not have to walk around open sewer lines.....trust me, this place is not that bad; P
Part of the fun here is just wandering around trying to get lost while not stepping in animal waste sinc e goats tend to have run of the place.
- Pros:Very unique
- Cons:The kids can get to you after a bit
- In a nutshell:This place is one of a kind
To get here you can either drive from Sanaa via Marib or Al Mukalla as I did or if you are pressed for time you can fly... more travel advice
Just to walk around this place is an experience. The size of the structures will get you you. When I first saw the place... more travel advice
flynboxes' Related Pages
Shibam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Towering Shibam"
- "Shibam Hadramawt"
- "The Curse of Unesco?"
- "The oldest skyscraper-city in the world"
- "Spectacular Shibam"
- "The first skyscrapers of the world"
- "Wadi hadramawt and the Eastern Desert"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Shibam
- Hotels in Shibam
- Transportation in Shibam
- Nightlife in Shibam
- Restaurants in Shibam
- Shopping in Shibam
- Warnings and Dangers in Shibam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Shibam
- 8 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Shibam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shibam
Top 10 Pages
- Cuzco Intro, 21 reviews, 57 photos
- Two Harbors Intro, 27 reviews, 51 photos
- Khartoum Intro, 17 reviews, 47 photos
- Timbuktu Intro, 15 reviews, 45 photos
- Aruba Intro, 17 reviews, 41 photos
- Rancho Palos Verdes Intro, 11 reviews, 46 photos
- Suakin Island Intro, 9 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harer Intro, 11 reviews, 35 photos
- Antigua Guatemala Intro, 13 reviews, 31 photos
- Los Angeles 11 reviews, 27 photos