"Modern Yerevan" Yerevan by flynboxes
Yerevan Travel Guide: 270 reviews and 1,034 photos
Ok, if you want the history on this place read your guide book. The first thing that came to my mind when I started walking around Yerevan was Beirut...why? Ever been to Beirut..of course you have....anyway the main square and the project are being built with US funds on Northern Ave. It reminded me of Rafik Hariri's Solidere projects. It is modern, clean and the same red/orange colored stone that you see in down town Beirut. Asside from this you are still surrounded by the remains of the Soviet influence...tall matchbox style apartments which are not alot of fun to look at.
If you want to see the real city you will have to look a bit in the hidden alleys or on the back streets. This city is in hyper drive to transform itself into a modern city with all the western shops to blow your hard earned cash in like any good consumer would...sorry used to be a loyal consumer but I get board with stuff to fast so no use in spending money on things I'm going to tire of in a few days/months.
The city itself is easy to get around in. I was able to walk to most places in 20-30 min. Asside from Northern Ave there are few pedistrian streets so be alert.
- Pros:Clean, safe and modern
- Cons:Too many greaser mafia wannabes wandering around
- In a nutshell:A great place to start your trip to Armenia
LP says to take the train to Tbilisi from Yervan. It runs during the night at a snails pace and the locals even try and... more travel advice
Go to the Opera House and see a show. I was not here long enough to do so but wish I had. It's a great way to experience... more travel advice
flynboxes' Related Pages
Yerevan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Yerevan – The pink city of Armenia"
- "YEREVAN - The 2800 Year-Old City"
- "GET HERE BY VAN !"
- "Modern Yerevan"
- "Yerevan, the 13th capital city of Armenia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Yerevan
- Hotels in Yerevan
- Transportation in Yerevan
- Nightlife in Yerevan
- Restaurants in Yerevan
- Shopping in Yerevan
- Warnings and Dangers in Yerevan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Yerevan
- 15 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Yerevan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Yerevan
Photos in YerevanSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Cuzco Intro, 21 reviews, 57 photos
- Two Harbors Intro, 27 reviews, 51 photos
- Khartoum Intro, 17 reviews, 47 photos
- Timbuktu Intro, 15 reviews, 45 photos
- Aruba Intro, 17 reviews, 41 photos
- Rancho Palos Verdes Intro, 11 reviews, 46 photos
- Suakin Island Intro, 9 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harer Intro, 11 reviews, 35 photos
- Antigua Guatemala Intro, 13 reviews, 31 photos
- Los Angeles 11 reviews, 27 photos