"Weekend escape in Guatemala" Monterrico by flynboxes

Monterrico Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 39 photos

Chillin on the Pacific Ocean in Guatemala

Ok,
Did not spend more than 5 hours here and after spending time in Hawaii Park I can't say that I would spend more time here. On the other hand Guatemala is a bit lacking in coastal resort towns on the Pacific Ocean and Monterrico is slowly becoming the "it" spot for city folks to come to and relax for the weekend. For me it was a place to wait for a ride to Hawaii Park - 8km to the south and upon leaving to catch a shared van to Antigua after a beer and shrimp/chips.

I was here to spend a week at the ARCAS camp down the street in Hawaii National Park working with the Sea Turtle project so I did not stay in any of the hotels here but I will include photos info as I walked around a bit prior to catching my ride to Antigua. Since there is no real Hawaii page I will also post my tips for Hawaii here. Along the Pacific Coast you will see plenty of establishments advertising Sea Turtle releases in fact I rode back to Antigua with an Aussie couple that had done so....most of these places do tourist releases ie: they hold the newly hatched turtles for tourists to release and make a bit of a show of it.
ARCAS on the other hand avoids this and tries to keep the wellfare of the turtles a top priority. So if you spend the 7 Q to get down to the park and expect to see a release you will probably end up waiting unless you were born with good timing.

The town

Monterrico consists of the main drag "Calle Principale" and handfull of hotels to the left and right of it along the beach or a few yeards back from it. It has everything a sun loving tourist can ask for - beach bars, a working ATM, a number of tourist oriented restaurants and so shops to buy shirts shells etc... and hammocks to relax and read a book in

www.arcasguatemala.com

Check out this web site if you are interested in a working vacation..nothing too difficult (except the 2am beach patrols) but for $10 a night you can stay 100 yards from the beach. Don't need to be a biologist or a green blooded tree hugger just be willing to help out. If you can speak spanish and are a self starter their are opportunities to work on community outreach programs in the nearby villages. My Spanish is basic a best yet I did a little bit of everything here from water a mangrove reforestation site, to releasing some freshwater turtles into the mangrove forest in the park....I even went out and picked up trash in the village as part of an effort to get the local kids into recycling.

** if you have cooking skills - under rustic conditions ie: limited variety of food supplies you might prove to be a poplular volunteer as in theory one volunteer cooks dinner for all each night of the week except on Saturday when they often arrange to have dinner at a locals house for a couple of Q per person.

Check out my tips and pics here as most have to do with the park.

Enjoy

• Pros:No hi-rise hotels here, laid back coastal town- Head to Hawaii Park
  • Cons:No surf so a bit lacking in activities- rxcept volunteering
  • In a nutshell:A great base camp for Hawaii Park
  • Last visit to Monterrico: Dec 2010
  • Intro Updated Oct 8, 2011

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2011 at 4:40 PM

I stayed in 3 places on 3 visits and didn't stay the night in the 3rd. That's me. Anyplace seriously dangerous you want to meet up at? Afgan, Iraq and Libiya ( 2 land borders) have serious potential.

flynboxes

“There are too many Americans in Antigua..heard from an Austrian girl in Hawaii Park, Guatemala”

Badges & Stats in Monterrico

Have you been to Monterrico?

Latest Activity in Monterrico