"Helgoland - A pearl in the Northsea" Top 5 Page for this destination Helgoland by gubbi1
Helgoland Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 195 photos
A real must-do at the Northsea coast of Germany is a trip to Helgoland. It is maybe comparable to a visit of the castle Neuschwanstein when staying in the south of Germany. During my stay in Cuxhaven, which was my first visit to my countries Northsea coast, of course, I had to visit this island with its 1600 inhabitants. It is located about 65 kilometers in front of Cuxhaven and can be reached from several locations along the coast. Also there is a connection from Hamburg and Wedel. Two different types of boats leave to Helgoland, traditional ships and large katamaran. The latter one is faster, compared to the traditional way to get to the island, but you will miss the boating, which has been always part of the transfer to Helgoland.
So what is Helgoland about? In principle it is a big rock in the Northsea with a village on it, a little nature and very clean air. But Helgoland was also a part of germans history. In 1714 Helgoland became denish, 1807 british. In 1890 Prussia gave Sansibar, which was its colonie, to England in exchange for Helgoland. In the following time Prussia built up military structure on Helgoland, because of its strategic position in the northsea. Later in the second worldwar the militarization of Helgoland was strongly intensified and therefore the island bombed. From 1945 to 1952 Helgoland was used as a traget during the training of using bombs by the british military. Due to these bombings the area around the harbour is much lower than the rest of the island. After the returnment of Helgoland to Germany, people returned and houses were rebuild.
Another historical fact is that the writer August Heinrich Hoffmann von Fallersleben several times had his holidays on Helgoland and during this time (1841) wrote the 'Deutschlandlied', whose third strophe became the text of our national anthem.
About nature: Impressive are the rocks, which you can see on a short walk around the island following the footpaths. The most known is the 'lange Anna' (long Ann). It is a symbol for Helgoland. During strong storms the formerly much bigger island lost more and more land. It happend even in 1721, that it split apart and another island developed. You can see it just beside the main island and it is called 'Düne'. On it there is the tiny airport of Helgoland. During one storm also the 'lange Anna' resulted after other rocks broke down. As a symbol for Helgoland, people tried to keep it standing, but as I heard since this year they gave up and it most probably will not take long until it breaks down.
Official page of Helgoland, mainly german.
Historic map of Helgoland (1900)
Upper town of Helgoland
- Pros:Perfect air, nice island
- In a nutshell:Come, see and breath
Check the Online Map, which might help you to plan your trip. Different languages available, by clicking on the small... more travel advice
In case you are there in Mai, June or July, watch the birds breading on the rocks. Partly you can make great fotos of... more travel advice
gubbi1's Related Pages
Helgoland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Helgoland - A pearl in the Northsea"
- "A Quiet Little Island in Germany's North Sea"
- "Sweet little island"
- "Helgoland, a red rock in the Northsea"
- "The island exchanged for Zanzibar"
- "Helgoland- Rocky island of the german Nordsee"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Helgoland
- Transportation in Helgoland
- Restaurants in Helgoland
- Shopping in Helgoland
- Warnings and Dangers in Helgoland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Helgoland
- 5 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Helgoland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Helgoland
- Uploaded a Photo to "10. GEROLSTEINER HELGOLAND-Marathon"
- Posted in Travel Israel Forum "Re: More Israel suggestions please"
- updated a Helgoland Travel Page "Helgoland - A pearl in the Northsea"
- Wrote a Review Online Map in Helgoland Transportation
- Commented on one of jorgejuansanchez's Helgoland travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 40 reviews, 231 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oulu Intro, 55 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Lillehammer Intro, 8 reviews, 164 photos, 17 travelogues
- Nazareth Intro, 16 reviews, 124 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akko Intro, 11 reviews, 122 photos, 10 travelogues
- Évora Intro, 13 reviews, 116 photos, 9 travelogues
- Røros Intro, 10 reviews, 107 photos, 9 travelogues
- Bet Guvrin Intro, 18 reviews, 89 photos
- Bet She`arim Intro, 11 reviews, 90 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tomar Intro, 12 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues