"Caliente - Old train station." Caliente by gubbi1
Caliente Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 18 photos
On my trip through the Southwest of the States I had one longer drive to get from Mono Lake to the Canyons in Utah. Taking the most direct route towards Zion Canyon I crossed the State of Nevada. At some point I decided to take a break, not just to fill up the fuel, but also to eat something. So I happend that I stopped in Caliente. And as it often happens I discovered small interestings spots, which I would not have seen by just driving through.
Caliente is located at a main train track. Nowadays this track is only used for freight trains passing through Caliente. Therefore the passanger trainstation has lost its purpose and now host the library of the town. When I first saw the building I was directly reminded of the train station in Kelso (Mojave National Preserve). Both have the same architectural style, probably designed from the same people. So I stop there and had a look at the building. In the former waiting hall there is a nice painting showing a map of the train tracks connected with Caliente.
Walking around the building I found another interesting object. A measurement station for nuclear particles. Here has to be said, that in the Nevada deserts the nuclear bomb tests have been performed above surface in the early years. To research the impact of these tests in the Southwest of the States several measurement stations have been installed. You can find this measurment device directly outside the train station. There are descriptions of the purpose of the measurment, how the instruments are built up and how the measurement is perfomed. And of course the current results are shown on a display.
Some links about Caliente:
Caliente in Lincoln County
Ghosttown aspects of Caliente
Caliente in Wikipedia
For train spotters...
Check out Kelso Depot, which is built in a similar style. See here...
If you are interested in trains, have a look at my Tehachapi-page! You will like it!
- Pros:Small town, interesting train station.
At the Union Pacific Railroad Depot you will find a measurement device for the research about the impact of the US... more travel advice
gubbi1's Related Pages
Caliente Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CALIENTE - HOT SPOT ON US 93 ON THE UP RAILROAD"
- "Caliente - Old train station."
- "caliente kid"
- "Basaic Caliente Page"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Caliente
- 2 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (55)
Have you been to Caliente?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Caliente
Photos in CalienteSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 40 reviews, 231 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oulu Intro, 55 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lillehammer Intro, 8 reviews, 164 photos, 17 travelogues
- Nazareth Intro, 16 reviews, 124 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akko Intro, 11 reviews, 122 photos, 10 travelogues
- Évora Intro, 13 reviews, 116 photos, 9 travelogues
- Røros Intro, 10 reviews, 107 photos, 9 travelogues
- Bet Guvrin Intro, 18 reviews, 89 photos
- Bet She`arim Intro, 11 reviews, 90 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tomar Intro, 12 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues