"Caliente - Old train station." Caliente by gubbi1

Caliente Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 18 photos

On my trip through the Southwest of the States I had one longer drive to get from Mono Lake to the Canyons in Utah. Taking the most direct route towards Zion Canyon I crossed the State of Nevada. At some point I decided to take a break, not just to fill up the fuel, but also to eat something. So I happend that I stopped in Caliente. And as it often happens I discovered small interestings spots, which I would not have seen by just driving through.
Caliente is located at a main train track. Nowadays this track is only used for freight trains passing through Caliente. Therefore the passanger trainstation has lost its purpose and now host the library of the town. When I first saw the building I was directly reminded of the train station in Kelso (Mojave National Preserve). Both have the same architectural style, probably designed from the same people. So I stop there and had a look at the building. In the former waiting hall there is a nice painting showing a map of the train tracks connected with Caliente.

Walking around the building I found another interesting object. A measurement station for nuclear particles. Here has to be said, that in the Nevada deserts the nuclear bomb tests have been performed above surface in the early years. To research the impact of these tests in the Southwest of the States several measurement stations have been installed. You can find this measurment device directly outside the train station. There are descriptions of the purpose of the measurment, how the instruments are built up and how the measurement is perfomed. And of course the current results are shown on a display.

Some links about Caliente:
Caliente in Lincoln County
Ghosttown aspects of Caliente
Caliente in Wikipedia
For train spotters...

Check out Kelso Depot, which is built in a similar style. See here...
If you are interested in trains, have a look at my Tehachapi-page! You will like it!

• Pros:Small town, interesting train station.
  • Last visit to Caliente: Sep 2007
  • Intro Updated Nov 1, 2007

Comments

gubbi1

“The way is the destination!”

Badges & Stats in Caliente

Have you been to Caliente?