"Welcome to my hometown" Top 5 Page for this destination Kempten by gubbi1
Kempten Travel Guide: 68 reviews and 251 photos
Kempten has the oldest written evidence of all german towns and looks back on a history of 2000 years. Founded by romans it first had the name Cambodunum from which the todays name Kempten developed.
The town is situated at the northern feet of the Alps, more specific of the Allgäuer Alps. Kempten belongs to Germanies Bavaria, but it is not far to Austria and Switzerland. Even Italy is reachable in 4 hours driving. To Munich it takes about two hours, to Ulm 1 hour, Lindau about 50 minutes.
Compared to the Alps, which start at about 20 kilometers south, Kempten itself is relatively flat and therefore perfect for biking. Along the river Iller, which flows through the town, there is a bikepath (Iller-Radweg) reaching in the south to Oberstdorf and in the north to Ulm.
In summer from Kempten you can do hiking trips to the Allgäuer Alps, which can last just one day or even more-days-trips are possible. In the mountains are huts, where it is possible to stay overnight. By this it is even possible to hike from Oberstdorf over the Alps to Meran in Italy in one week. This tour is part of the european distance hiking route (E5). I myself haven't been hiking overnight, but had enjoying trips in the nature of the Alps. See my mainpage where I list some of the hiking trips I did.
As a tourist here in Kempten you should see our Basilika, the Residence with the 'Prunk'-rooms and the town itself. Other things to do are a visit to Füssen with the popular castle Neuschwanstein, the Ulmer Münster in Ulm, which is the highest church tower worldwide and Ottobeuren with the nice monestry church. To relax you can have a visit to Lindau at the Lake Constance (Bodensee) or the nice small towns and villages around Kempten.
More information on Kempten you can find on the cities homepage for example its history and tourist contacts. Here is the towns mainlink.
To see how it looks like in town at the moment, you can have a look at a webcam which shows a picture of our city halls square.
That's it for now and I hope to hear that you were here and liked it! Check the travelogues which can give you a visual impression of the town...
- Pros:calm, close to alps, hiking, biking, nature
- Cons:too small
In the archeological parc in Kempten you can visit three different location, which are located close to eachother. Two... more travel advice
Now housing the public library the Orangerie was built in 1780 as a part of the Residence to keep plants of the... more travel advice
gubbi1's Related Pages
Kempten Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to my hometown"
- "VT meeting in Kempten"
- "Euromeet 2012 Premeet in Kempten"
- "Kempten in Bavaria"
- "Bonio's visit to Kempten"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kempten
- Hotels in Kempten
- Transportation in Kempten
- Restaurants in Kempten
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kempten
- 17 Reviews
- 64 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Kempten?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kempten
Photos in KemptenSee All Photos (64)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 40 reviews, 231 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oulu Intro, 55 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Lillehammer Intro, 8 reviews, 164 photos, 17 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nazareth Intro, 16 reviews, 124 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akko Intro, 11 reviews, 122 photos, 10 travelogues
- Évora Intro, 13 reviews, 116 photos, 9 travelogues
- Røros Intro, 10 reviews, 107 photos, 9 travelogues
- Bet Guvrin Intro, 18 reviews, 89 photos
- Bet She`arim Intro, 11 reviews, 90 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tomar Intro, 12 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues