"Late Visit to Columbia State Historic Park" Columbia by gubbi1

Columbia Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 31 photos

I mainly came to Columbia to visit the State Historic Park. My problem was that it was my first destination of my travel, which began with problems of my rental car. So I had to return it just after starting my tour and lost about two hours, which were now missing at the end of the day. So I reached Columbia just a few minutes before the sites started to close for the day. At least I could have a look at some of the buildings and I did not miss the very interesting film about the history of Columbia.

At the evening I had a very new and hopefully just one-time experience: I left my car keys in the trunk of my car... very bad situation at 10 pm with all the stuff neccessary for the night inside it. Well, so I can now appreciate the help of the AAA, the American Automobile Association. Thanks!

I stayed at the Columbia Inn, probably they remember that evening there :) It is a very nice motel: Simple, but clean, and the staff is very helpful. See their webpage...

About the State Historic Park:
It is just a quarter of a mile away from the Columbia Inn and therfore perfect to be reached by feet. The park contains the original houses from the goldrush times with exhibitions about life at that time. You will understand much about how the region developed socially and economically, but also hear about the impact of the search for gold on nature (still you can see the scarves all around).

As a start for you to gather information about the park I strongly recommend the great pages provided by the State of California.

• Pros:Interesting park
  • Cons:I was too late, unfortunately... my cars fault!
  • Last visit to Columbia: Sep 2007
  • Intro Written Oct 28, 2007

Comments

gubbi1

“The way is the destination!”

Badges & Stats in Columbia

Have you been to Columbia?