"Big Basin Redwoods" Boulder Creek by gubbi1
Boulder Creek Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 42 photos
Close to Boulder Creek you will find the Big Basin Redwoods Park where you can hike on long trails through a forest of Redwoods (Sequoia sempervirens). These trees are the highest growing trees in the world. It is really impressive how tall and what a diameter these trees can have. For somebody, who likes nature, this is a must.
When planning to hike, prepare that in the forest it is cooler than outside in the sun. Some trails lead up onto the hills where you will face the sun and it will immediately be warm. Therefore I propose the layering method, put some light clothes and a sweater above. So you will be prepared.
Entering the park, you will drive to the headquarter, where you will have to pay for the parking and where you can buy a map showing the different trails in the park. You will see that there is a good network of paths, so you can set up a hike perfectly for your condition. At the headquarter have a look at the huge tree some meters left of the counter and the tree slice showing the age rings on the right side of the counter. You will imagine how long the trees are already standing there, and have a big respect to these fragile giants.
One possibility for a hike is a trail loop to the waterfalls, Golden Cascade and Silver Falls which are part of the West Berry Creek. This path is quite long to walk, so if you are not used to hike so much, take a day for it.
I found it important to bring water and food with me. Also as stated above, due to the wind and shadow, it can get a little fresh from time to time. Therefore some sweater or thin jacket can be a help.
Our hike followed the Skyline-to-the-sea-Trail to the Berry Creek. From here we followed the Berry Creek Falls Trail towards the north and then returned on the Sunset Trail towards the headquarter.
- Pros:Impressive trees, impressive forest, impressive nature!
During the time we visited the park, there was a warning because of the West Nile Virus. It was recommended to use... more travel advice
gubbi1's Related Pages
Boulder Creek Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Popular Sumertime Hangout"
- "Big Basin Redwoods"
- "Red wood forest adventure"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Boulder Creek
- Shopping in Boulder Creek
- Warnings and Dangers in Boulder Creek
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Boulder Creek
- 3 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Boulder Creek?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Boulder Creek
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 40 reviews, 231 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oulu Intro, 55 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Lillehammer Intro, 8 reviews, 164 photos, 17 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nazareth Intro, 16 reviews, 124 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akko Intro, 11 reviews, 122 photos, 10 travelogues
- Évora Intro, 13 reviews, 116 photos, 9 travelogues
- Røros Intro, 10 reviews, 107 photos, 9 travelogues
- Bet Guvrin Intro, 18 reviews, 89 photos
- Bet She`arim Intro, 11 reviews, 90 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tomar Intro, 12 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (77)
Latest Boulder Creek hotel reviews
- Big Basin Tent Cabins
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2012