"A colorful and sometimes cold place" Petrified Forest National Park by gubbi1

During my travel through the Southwest of the States I was thinking which route to take. I remembered the tip of a colleague of mine, who had been travelling here before. He knows that I like nice landscapes which give good motives for my photos. He told me I should definitely pass by the Petrified Forest National Park in Arizona. So I arranged my trip the way that I had much time in the park to explore a lot (taking photos) and to have a walk. The latter one is in my opinion a good way to experience a place, instead of just stopping with the car and looking. But that day it was a pretty hard action. I started quite early in the morning to have time, it was much needed as I planned also to drive to Grand Canyon that day. From Holbrook you are pretty fast at the entrance of the park. A short stop at the gas station and then entering the park. Already on my trip to the park I realized, that it was quite windy and temperatures could have been higher. Later I realized that it was the coldest day on my whole trip. Anyway, I enjoyed it. I was glad to have enough time as the park has so much to offer. There are of course the petrified logs, which are laying around in many places. At certain places you will see traces of ancient people who left there art on stones. I think these pictures which you can see in the park, are really impressive. And of course as the park is located in the area called Painted Desert, the landscape itself offers so great impressions. I took the Blue Mesa hike (walk) and beside freezing and getting sand brushed took great pictures. You will find lots of possibilities to take macro pictures of the logs there. At a certain point in the park you will also cross the old Route 66, of which only the telegraph poles and a visible difference of the ground is left. There is a monument placed (a wrack of an old car). All this was just a short overview. Check my travelogues and tips when they are ready for more details.

• Pros:Excellent
  • Cons:Sometimes cold and extrem windy
  • In a nutshell:You should have seen this!
  • Last visit to Petrified Forest National Park: Sep 2007
  • Intro Updated Oct 2, 2008

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Thanks for you tips, we are planning a trip through the area, and this has helped me with my plans.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2012 at 12:36 PM

You saw another great place, and well preserved in spite of "losing" 2,000 pounds of petrified wood annually. Your pictures are great

• amandajayne81's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2011 at 3:52 AM

Looks like a very interesting place-I had never heard of it before.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2010 at 12:18 AM

Great page! so interesting!

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2009 at 3:55 PM

Excellent page! Fascinating place to visit and fab photos, esp the main one here. Might be coming to the Karlsruhe meet so might see you there.

gubbi1

“The way is the destination!”

Badges & Stats in Petrified Forest National Park

Have you been to Petrified Forest National Park?