"Canyon de Chelly - The Rock Canyon" Canyon de Chelly National Monument by gubbi1
Canyon de Chelly National Monument Travel Guide: 105 reviews and 342 photos
A misunderstanding caused the naming of this beautiful and interesting place on earth. According to a sign at the canyon in the Navajo peoples language the canyon is called 'Tseyi' which means 'Rock Canyon'. By the spanish-english corruption of the Navajo name the new name 'Canyon de Chelly' developed.
As all National Parks and Monuments in the States also this National Monument is well organized. There is a Visitor Center, where you can get information about the canyon as well as get a map showing where there is something to see. Like those famous sites as the Grand Canyon also the Canyon de Chelly is a great place to visit in the later afternoon when the sinking sun continuesly changes colors and shadows of the rocks.
On the ground of the canyon you will see corn fields. Still nowadays the Navajos produce small amounts of agricultural products in the canyon, but tooling has changed to the more modern. Further you will find several cliff dwellings on the walls of the canyon. Partly it is almost a gameplay to find them on the other side of the canyon. Hope you will not forget your zoom lense for your camera if you have one. It will give you great opportunities to make great shots.
I had my visit to Canyon de Chelly in the afternoon as I did some other sightseeing the same day. So I could not see the whole park as there is a northern road and a southern road leading from west to east. So I decided to start with the southern road and actually was much slower as I thought I would be. But there are so many spots from where you have a good sight into the canyon and where you will find information plates explaining about the canyon, that I decided not to care about my schedule and to arrive late at the hotel. Still I could only see the southern part. Looking back that was a good decision to take my time and I enjoyed my visit here in the park (which I never heard about before starting my trip) very much.
I recommend to have a look at the official webpage of the park which has all information neccessary to successfully plan your trip. Check for the fees and where to pay it (cars are free, but activities in the canyon, which I did not do, cost).
Main page of the park...
Direct link to the parks map...
Enjoy your trip!
- Pros:Beautiful and great!
- In a nutshell:Highly recommended!
Even though it takes quite some time when stopping at all overlooks you should not miss the last one, Spider Rock... more travel advice
You can download a pdf-map of the canyon beforehand you start yor travel, so you can plan a little your day in the park... more travel advice
gubbi1's Related Pages
Canyon de Chelly National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sacred Navajo Area"
- "Canyon de Chelly: A National Treasure?"
- "canyon de chelly national monument"
- "A brief encounter with a special place"
- "Canyon in Indian Territory"
- "Sacred Tseyi"
- "Canyon de Chelly"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Canyon de Chelly National Monument
- Hotels in Canyon de Chelly National Monument
- Transportation in Canyon de Chelly National Monument
- Nightlife in Canyon de Chelly National Monument
- Restaurants in Canyon de Chelly National Monument
- Shopping in Canyon de Chelly National Monument
- Warnings and Dangers in Canyon de Chelly National Monument
- See All...
Explore the World
- Land Rheinland-Pfalz
- Newtown Square Hotels
- Tilburg Hotels
- Cavite City
- Tlacolula de Matamoros Hotels
- Province of Nueva Vizcaya
- Yang-ming-shan Kung-yuan Hotels
- Clanton Hotels
- Roquetas de Mar
- Schoonhoven Hotels
- Vila Franca do Campo
Badges & Stats in Canyon de Chelly National Monument
- 6 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Canyon de Chelly National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Canyon de Chelly National Monument
Photos in Canyon de Chelly National MonumentSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 40 reviews, 231 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oulu Intro, 55 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Lillehammer Intro, 8 reviews, 164 photos, 17 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nazareth Intro, 16 reviews, 124 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akko Intro, 11 reviews, 122 photos, 10 travelogues
- Évora Intro, 13 reviews, 116 photos, 9 travelogues
- Røros Intro, 10 reviews, 107 photos, 9 travelogues
- Bet Guvrin Intro, 18 reviews, 89 photos
- Bet She`arim Intro, 11 reviews, 90 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tomar Intro, 12 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues