"Neuwerk - Hiking on the oceans ground" Neuwerk by gubbi1
Neuwerk Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 32 photos
One highlight during my stay in Cuxhaven was a walk on oceans ground. This is possible as the moons gravitation and the earths rotation make the waterlevel rise and fall for about three meters twice a day. This might not be much compared to other places on the earth, for example at places in Canada with 16 meters, but due to the very flat ground of the Northsea water disappears over many kilometers. So it is possible to even walk to the island Neuwerk. Understandable also that this brings the risk of drowning when not taking care. The water has a high speed when returning, up to 50 cm per second, and there are small rivers inbetween which easily can trap you. Imagine which force moving water can have... So short walks into the 'Watt' (thats the name of the area, which 'looses' water during low tide) are of course not a problem, but when doing the 10 kilometers walk the best you can do is to take part in a guided tour. The guides know when and where it is good to walk (ground changes pretty often) and have a radio to call for help. our guide told us that frequently people have to be rescued...
On the image you can see the way we walked towards Neuwerk. I logged it with my GPS-device. The distance I measured was 9.1 kilometers, but the path might change due to storms at high tide.
This pic shows me during a walk in the 'Watt'. In case you plan to walk to Neuwerk, you should put some trousers on, which you can lift up higher! It was not taken the day I walked to Neuwerk.
And don't worry there are cleaning stations for the feet in Cuxhaven and on Neuwerk!
- Pros:Interesting experience, great nature!!!
- Cons:take guided tour
Sometimes people are found on the coast. Nobody knows their names and therefore there is a graveyard on Neuwerk for... more travel advice
In case you plan to walk on your own, you should carefully check the times of the tides. Estimate about 3 hours walking... more travel advice
gubbi1's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Neuwerk
- 9 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Neuwerk?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Neuwerk
Photos in NeuwerkSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 40 reviews, 231 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oulu Intro, 55 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lillehammer Intro, 8 reviews, 164 photos, 17 travelogues
- Nazareth Intro, 16 reviews, 124 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akko Intro, 11 reviews, 122 photos, 10 travelogues
- Évora Intro, 13 reviews, 116 photos, 9 travelogues
- Røros Intro, 10 reviews, 107 photos, 9 travelogues
- Bet Guvrin Intro, 18 reviews, 89 photos
- Bet She`arim Intro, 11 reviews, 90 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tomar Intro, 12 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues