"Neuwerk - Hiking on the oceans ground" Neuwerk by gubbi1

Neuwerk Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 32 photos

One highlight during my stay in Cuxhaven was a walk on oceans ground. This is possible as the moons gravitation and the earths rotation make the waterlevel rise and fall for about three meters twice a day. This might not be much compared to other places on the earth, for example at places in Canada with 16 meters, but due to the very flat ground of the Northsea water disappears over many kilometers. So it is possible to even walk to the island Neuwerk. Understandable also that this brings the risk of drowning when not taking care. The water has a high speed when returning, up to 50 cm per second, and there are small rivers inbetween which easily can trap you. Imagine which force moving water can have... So short walks into the 'Watt' (thats the name of the area, which 'looses' water during low tide) are of course not a problem, but when doing the 10 kilometers walk the best you can do is to take part in a guided tour. The guides know when and where it is good to walk (ground changes pretty often) and have a radio to call for help. our guide told us that frequently people have to be rescued...

On the image you can see the way we walked towards Neuwerk. I logged it with my GPS-device. The distance I measured was 9.1 kilometers, but the path might change due to storms at high tide.

This pic shows me during a walk in the 'Watt'. In case you plan to walk to Neuwerk, you should put some trousers on, which you can lift up higher! It was not taken the day I walked to Neuwerk.

And don't worry there are cleaning stations for the feet in Cuxhaven and on Neuwerk!

• Pros:Interesting experience, great nature!!!
  • Cons:take guided tour
  • Last visit to Neuwerk: Jun 2005
  • Intro Updated Jul 22, 2005

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2012 at 2:16 AM

I think I would opt for the guided tour, as I have a great respect for quickly rising tides. I see that VT lists Neuwerk as part of the Freie und Hansastadt Hamburg. Is that true? I was recently in Hamburg but didn’t know Neuwerk was part of it.

• TempNomad's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2006 at 7:15 AM

Sehr interesant - schonen Dank! We're trying to find places to visit on the coast, so thanks for the tips!

• vesna04's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2005 at 10:58 AM

Never heared of this place before. Thanks for sharing.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2005 at 9:39 AM

an interesting page about a special place out of Hamburg ! Hab mal einen Krimi in ARD gesehen : "Tod auf Neuwerk" und der Komissar hatte auch die Flut etwas verschätzt und mußte von der Küstenwache gerettet werden :-))

gubbi1

“The way is the destination!”

Badges & Stats in Neuwerk

Have you been to Neuwerk?