"Abrantes - Town and Fortress" Abrantes by gubbi1
Abrantes Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 26 photos
On my way from Tomar to the very portuguese east I have passed Abrantes and stopped here to have a walk through town and to see the fortress.
As closer you get to the east of Portugal as more fortresses you will see. These are remains from the times that portuguese territory had to be protected against spanish troops. Nowadays these fortresses give a lot of charm to the towns and it is a pleasure to travel along the border region.
The fortress in Abrantes was built for D. Afonso Henriques and the first documented reference for it dates back to 1173.
Coming to Abrantes I have parked much below the town center and walk high up into the center and the fortress. You might as well drive up to the parking at the fortress and spare some energy.
The photo shows the cities church. It looks a little funny on the photo as it is hard to take a good photo dueto its size and the limited space in front. So I took two photos and built a panorama, which now looks a little distorted :-) In real life the walls are straight :-)))
From the church you can see the walls of the fortress. It is not far from here.
On the powder tower (you can climb it) there is a portuguese flag. It is becoming a custom for me to take at least one photo of the countries flag...
Inside the fortifications of the Fortaleza de Abrantes you will find the Church Santa Maria do Castelo. Inside the... more travel advice
Ideal located on a hilltop overlooking the region you will find the huge fortress of Abrantes. This strategic position... more travel advice
gubbi1's Related Pages
Abrantes Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Abrantes
- 4 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Abrantes?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Abrantes
Photos in AbrantesSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 40 reviews, 231 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oulu Intro, 55 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Lillehammer Intro, 8 reviews, 164 photos, 17 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nazareth Intro, 16 reviews, 124 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akko Intro, 11 reviews, 122 photos, 10 travelogues
- Évora Intro, 13 reviews, 116 photos, 9 travelogues
- Røros Intro, 10 reviews, 107 photos, 9 travelogues
- Bet Guvrin Intro, 18 reviews, 89 photos
- Bet She`arim Intro, 11 reviews, 90 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tomar Intro, 12 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues