"Alcoutim - Menhirs, castle and river" Alcoutim by gubbi1

Alcoutim Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 70 photos

Well, I have to confess that I came to Alcoutim more or less by curiousity, not by wanting to see something special. On my way it happend that I saw a street sign pointing to a menhir. Already before I tried to visit menhirs and antas, but was not very successful in finding them. So I followed the road and became positively surprised to find the two nice menhirs. They are called Menhirs do Lavajo I. As there are more sights in the surrounding area where they found remains of menhirs, these sites connected to eachother are numbered with roman numbers. The plate at the Menhirs refers to one which was said to be in the archeological museum in Alcoutim. So I continued my trip into town. There (of course) I had to visit the castle with the archological museum. It is not very large, but gives you a good idea about where you are and how it used to be here. The castle itself is more like a park and foes not give the feeling of a fortress as in most of the other castles that I have visited. Still I recommend to come here. You will have a good view from here on town.

Outside of Alcoutim you will find the Menhirs do Lavajo. Even fenced they will bring a little the spirit of the far past.

Inside the museum of archeology in the fortress of Alcoutim you can have a look at the past of the fortress and the town.

• Pros:Interesting relaxing town
  • Last visit to Alcoutim: May 2009
  • Intro Updated Jul 14, 2009

Comments

gubbi1

“The way is the destination!”

Badges & Stats in Alcoutim

Have you been to Alcoutim?