"Marvão - One of THE portuguese mountain towns" Marvão by gubbi1
Marvão Travel Guide: 78 reviews and 230 photos
Coming to see Marvão was one of the must-dos I had planned before coming to Portugal. I have seen photos and descriptions about the village and really hoped to make it here. Finally starting my travel in Portugal it was one of the things for the first days already and it fully satisfied my expectations.
Located on a hilltop this town and its fortress overlook the wide hilly landscape of the Sierra De Sao Mamede. I enjoyed very much to walk around through the small walkways inbetween the white buildings.
A hugh area of the hilltop is occupied by the large fortress in which you can walk on the outer walls and climb the tower. Both give great views over the surrounding landscape and over the town.
Going up into town you might find a cafe open on the right, from its terasse you can enjoy the view.
Another great experience I had in the church complex below the parking. It looked like there is something to see and visit. So I had a look at the fassade of the church and took some photos, then I thought I could go inside the church, but it was a place where old people live. It was a little confucing, especially as the people where looking at me, but it was written in my guide that the inner garden is nice.
Anyway I started talking with an old man using my not existing portuguese, a little english, a little spanish and my hands. He did understand that I wanted to see the church, but explained me that they are living in the building and that I should go upstairs where I could have a look at the eating room. So I went there and it was nice with tiles, but as people were eating, I did not take a photo.
- Pros:Very beautiful village with a lot to see.
gubbi1's Related Pages
Marvão Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Marvão - A Hilltop Castle & Enclosed Garden!"
- "Marvão the eagles nest"
- "Where we can see the birds back"
- "Marvao - UNESCO candidate 2004"
- "Marvão: The Unforgettable Village"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Marvão
- Hotels in Marvão
- Transportation in Marvão
- Restaurants in Marvão
- Shopping in Marvão
- Warnings and Dangers in Marvão
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Marvão
- 0 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Marvão?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Marvão
Photos in MarvãoSee All Photos (40)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 40 reviews, 231 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oulu Intro, 55 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Lillehammer Intro, 8 reviews, 164 photos, 17 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nazareth Intro, 16 reviews, 124 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akko Intro, 11 reviews, 122 photos, 10 travelogues
- Évora Intro, 13 reviews, 116 photos, 9 travelogues
- Røros Intro, 10 reviews, 107 photos, 9 travelogues
- Bet Guvrin Intro, 18 reviews, 89 photos
- Bet She`arim Intro, 11 reviews, 90 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tomar Intro, 12 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues