"Tomar - pretty town with interesting convent" Top 5 Page for this destination Tomar by gubbi1

Tomar Travel Guide: 117 reviews and 349 photos

For me Tomar was my first stop on my second visit to Portugal. My plan was to make a roundtrip through the middle and south of the country connected to the plces I have already seen during my stay in Porto. Tomar was a good decision to stay the first night after arriving in Lisbon on the early afternoon.

The town Tomar has much to offer. Above the beautiful old town the castle is pretty well visible. Connected to it on the same hill you should have a look at the 'Convent of Christ' which is a huge building complex of a beautiful architecture.
On the south of the castle mountain there is a large garden in which you can have a walk to enjoy the silence. It is not spectacular, but I liked to have a walk there.
In town you will find a museum, which in my opinion is pretty unusual. A huge collection of matchboxes. The originate from many different countries all around the world and are partly very old. I am sure you will spend some time there as most of the boxes have pictures on them. For me it was like a trip through history as I could remember some of them from my youth.
Another interesting place is located a little out of town behind the Convent. There you will find an aqueduct which was part of the water connection for the convent.

• Pros:Much to do and see
  • In a nutshell:Very enjoyable historic but lively town
  • Last visit to Tomar: May 2009
  • Intro Updated Jun 17, 2009

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Gorgeous page about your adventures in Portugal. Although I have been twice to Portugal I never made it to Tomar.

• SOLODANCER's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2012 at 9:14 AM

One of my favorite places in Portugal. Your fotos of the this lovely place are terrific. I didn't know about the aqueduct, I must look for it next time I'm back there. Thanks.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Hello, Christian! Congratulations on your great exploration of Portugal, my friend! ><>< Happy travels! ><><

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2011 at 11:45 AM

I hope to go there one day

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2010 at 5:38 AM

interesting page.

gubbi1

“The way is the destination!”

Badges & Stats in Tomar