"Tomar - pretty town with interesting convent" Top 5 Page for this destination Tomar by gubbi1
Tomar Travel Guide: 117 reviews and 349 photos
For me Tomar was my first stop on my second visit to Portugal. My plan was to make a roundtrip through the middle and south of the country connected to the plces I have already seen during my stay in Porto. Tomar was a good decision to stay the first night after arriving in Lisbon on the early afternoon.
The town Tomar has much to offer. Above the beautiful old town the castle is pretty well visible. Connected to it on the same hill you should have a look at the 'Convent of Christ' which is a huge building complex of a beautiful architecture.
On the south of the castle mountain there is a large garden in which you can have a walk to enjoy the silence. It is not spectacular, but I liked to have a walk there.
In town you will find a museum, which in my opinion is pretty unusual. A huge collection of matchboxes. The originate from many different countries all around the world and are partly very old. I am sure you will spend some time there as most of the boxes have pictures on them. For me it was like a trip through history as I could remember some of them from my youth.
Another interesting place is located a little out of town behind the Convent. There you will find an aqueduct which was part of the water connection for the convent.
- Pros:Much to do and see
- In a nutshell:Very enjoyable historic but lively town
The Castle of the Templars and Convent of Christ more or less the same complex are extremely beautiful. Both are listed... more travel advice
In case you do not want to drive to the aqueduct, you can have a look at the place where it arrives at the convent. It... more travel advice
gubbi1's Related Pages
Tomar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cidade Templaria"
- "Tomar, Portugal"
- "Tomar - pretty town with interesting convent"
- "Tomar - City of the Knights Templar"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tomar
- Hotels in Tomar
- Transportation in Tomar
- Nightlife in Tomar
- Restaurants in Tomar
- Shopping in Tomar
- Warnings and Dangers in Tomar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tomar
- 12 Reviews
- 86 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (55)
Have you been to Tomar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tomar
Photos in TomarSee All Photos (86)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 40 reviews, 231 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oulu Intro, 55 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lillehammer Intro, 8 reviews, 164 photos, 17 travelogues
- Nazareth Intro, 16 reviews, 124 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akko Intro, 11 reviews, 122 photos, 10 travelogues
- Évora Intro, 13 reviews, 116 photos, 9 travelogues
- Røros Intro, 10 reviews, 107 photos, 9 travelogues
- Bet Guvrin Intro, 18 reviews, 89 photos
- Bet She`arim Intro, 11 reviews, 90 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tomar Intro, 12 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues