"Bergön in the Archipelago" Bergö by gubbi1
Bergö Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 18 photos
During my stay in Vaasa I wanted to see the Kvarken Archipelago, which is a World Nature Heritage comparable to wellknown places like the Grand Canyon. In opposite to that place which is really old, the Kvarken Archipelago is a very young area. Due to the compression by the icemasses of the last ice-age, the ground has been pressed down about 900 - 1000 meters. After the glaciers disappeared, this process is getting reversed and a huge landlift is going on. With a speed of currently 9 mm per year, the ground of the whole area of the baltic sea is rising and therefore creating new islands and new land. Bergön is one of the islands I have visited during my stay. It is reachable by a lössi, which is the Finnish expression for short distance ferries, which are part of the official streetnetwork, and therefore usable for free. You can recognize them by their characteristic yellow color.
My trip to Bergön was mainly intended to have a drive around there to stop at the beaches and habours for nice sights and to use the lössi, which I haven't done before during my two month in Finland.
It is impressive in the Kvarken how much birdlife there is. Just coming to the center of Bergön, I saw a fasan crossing the street. Fortunately there was a good place to park the car, so the poor bird had me following him with my camera. But he was a lucky as using my telelense I quickly got him.
I drove to the middle of the island where you will find a church. At the church there one street each direction leads to the sea. Here it is to remark that streets on the Kvarken, often means that there is no asphalt, but gravel or dirt. So if roads are wet, your car will look like this afterwards.
But with the views over the sea and along the coastline this is no problem.
Go to Björkön, another island in the archipelago...
- Pros:Beautiful cultivated nature
Written Apr 24, 2008
Getting to Bergön - the lössi
Written Apr 24, 2008
Getting around on Bergön
gubbi1's Related Pages
Bergö Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Bergö
- 1 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Bergö?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bergö
Photos in BergöSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 40 reviews, 231 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oulu Intro, 55 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Lillehammer Intro, 8 reviews, 164 photos, 17 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nazareth Intro, 16 reviews, 124 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akko Intro, 11 reviews, 122 photos, 10 travelogues
- Évora Intro, 13 reviews, 116 photos, 9 travelogues
- Røros Intro, 10 reviews, 107 photos, 9 travelogues
- Bet Guvrin Intro, 18 reviews, 89 photos
- Bet She`arim Intro, 11 reviews, 90 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tomar Intro, 12 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues