"Koli National Park --- A National Landscape" Eno by gubbi1

Eno Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 27 photos

As you see from the title this page is about the closely located Koli National Park. A part of it is in the municipal of Eno, another in Lieksa and a third in Kontiolahti.
For quite a while I know about this park and always wanted to stand on the beautiful mountain range. The landscape of Koli National Park is a National Landscape of Finland as it inspired finnish artists like painters but also writers over decades. This way it also contributed to the Finnish feeling of being a nation. Finland is a relative new country as it was declared in 1917. I lived at the northern Baltic coast for a year and once in a while came across this landscape on advertisement or on TV. It became a must to come to Koli NP if there would be a chance. Now this roadtrip in 2011 was this chance and I looked forward to it.
Coming from the east my plan was to take the ferry over the big lake to arrive at the ferry harbour below the mountain range. Unfortunately the ferry schedule was so that I would have to wait for 4 hours, so I decided to drive around the lake Pielinen. Arriving at Koli I drove up the mountain and parked my car at the visitor parking. From here stairs lead up to the top. Don't be afraid when your first sight here will stuck on the huge sokos hotel and the closeby tourist office. They are not really contributing to the beauty of the place, but once you start a hike along the rim, you will be overwhelmed by the view. Here Finland seems to be the real lake land.
The trails are very well prepared and there are many more tourists here than in other parks that I have been to, but with each hundred meters their amount degrades and soon you also can enjoy the silence of the place.

My hike made me follow the ridge for about a little more than 1,5 km, but I gave me the time to stop at several places with a good view.

On the screenshot of google earth you can see the logged track of my hike. It basically follows the mountain chain until it reaches an abandoned croft. Until there you will walk on small trails partly directly on the rocks with short detours onto the various 'summits'. Especially at the beginning you will have several places which allow great panoramic views over the Finnish east.
--- Enjoy!

• Pros:Beautiful impressiv park!
  • Last visit to Eno: Aug 2011
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

“The way is the destination!”

Badges & Stats in Eno