"Another point of the Struve Geodetic Arc" Korpilahti by gubbi1

Korpilahti Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 27 photos

Already during the year that I could live in Oulu, I came across the structure of the Struve Geodetic Arc. It is one of the few Finnish world heritage sites. Actually it is not a specific site, rather a huge measurement device that was formerly used by scientists to measure the dimensions of the earth. To get an exact as possible result, lots of points making up triangles were necessary stretching like a spider web from the Black Sea to the Polar Ocean in the far north of Norway. The points needed to be in viewing distance to two other points and therefore it is imaginable what complicated but interesting adventure it must have been to set up these points. But why do I tell you all this which began for me in Oulu? Passing Korpilahti on my roadtrip I suddenly passed a sign with the world heritage emblem saying 'information at the next parking'. So I stopped there and found the info that there is a measurement point of this Struve Arc not far away. So I decided to follow the directions to find the point. Well, I should have guessed that it is located on the top of one of the hills there. So I parked my car after driving some kilometers on a small gravel road and followed the signs. The trail is around 1 kilometer long, but goes steadily upwards. At some places there are stairs mounted. Several signs tell you how far you have already walked and how many meters you have to go on. Arriving on top, you will find several remains of mounted devices. Many more measurements were done here after the work of Struve. The best thing is a wooden tower which you can climb and which offers spectacular views into the region. At the foot of the tower you will find further information about the Struve Geodetic Arc.
The plate says something like: 'This place is part of the Finnish kartographic history.' The drawing is a kind of a map describing where the different measurement devices were on the platform around you and beside it says when and what it was.

My Struve Points on VT pages:
Aavasaksa, FI
Tornio Church, FI

This is the way up, partly steep and alpine over rocks, sometimes with stairs.

A fantastic view is what you will get when arriving on the top. Climb the tower!

• Pros:Interesting history! One of the few Finnish UNESCO sites.
  • Last visit to Korpilahti: Sep 2011
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

“The way is the destination!”

Badges & Stats in Korpilahti

Have you been to Korpilahti?