"Wilderness in Patvinsuo National Park" Lieksa by gubbi1
Lieksa Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 55 photos
Before my roadtrip I read much of the pages of the outdoors.fi, which is the official page of the Finnish National Parks authorities. Here I came across the Patvinsuo National Park in the far East of the country. At first I was not sure if this is a good place for a single hiker as Finland is bear land, but talking to my Finnish friends I was convinced that it should be no problem. So Patvinsuo National Park was placed on the list of places that I would travel to.
Coming from Petkeljärvi National Park (another great nature park) I decided to stop in Patvinsuo NP for the night. At the Suomu Nature Information Hut there is a camping site in the forest at a larger lake. The place is very basic, but very beautiful and has everything necessary for staying in the wild. You will find a dry toilet, a fireplace (including cooking place with fire) and a sauna that is rentable. Water comes from a pump out of the lake. For those who love to be close to nature, but not in total wilderness, this is a great place.
At the arrival I was glad to see another tent there, so in case a bear would show up during the night, I would not be alone. After cooking I put on a fire and shortly after the others showed up. When they finished their dinner, they joined for the campfire. We spent the whole evening talking and at night went to the lake to watch the night sky, which is amazing here so far away from artificial light sources.
The next day after breakfast and packing I decided to do a hike in a swamp named Surkansuo that the couple was talking about the last evening. The trail is just very few kilometers away and called Lakkapolku. Driving there and starting the hike you will notice that you are pretty far from civilisation here even thought a car or truck might pass the side of the hiking area. The swamp is a large area and only a part can be visited on a trail on duckboards. Still I decided to bring my bear bell with me, which I only used in the few dense forest parts where you can't see far.
Most of the hike is on duckboards, just a little goes through forest which only can grow here on 'islands' in the swamp. They consist of rocks deposit here by glaciers in the last ice-age. The trail is a circular hike, only the last 100 meters go on the main road.
On the photo on the right you see the evening atmosphere of the lake just behind the camping site on which I stayed for my visit to Patvinsuo NP. From the camp to here it is just 100 meters.
--- My travelogue of the campsite
--- The hike
--- The official page of Patvinsuo NP
- Pros:Beautiful calm wilderness
gubbi1's Related Pages
Lieksa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Patvinsuo National Park"
- "Town on the Wolf Border"
- "Koli - the national landscape"
- "Wilderness in Patvinsuo National Park"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lieksa
- 0 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (55)
Have you been to Lieksa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lieksa
Photos in LieksaSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 40 reviews, 231 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oulu Intro, 55 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lillehammer Intro, 8 reviews, 164 photos, 17 travelogues
- Nazareth Intro, 16 reviews, 124 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akko Intro, 11 reviews, 122 photos, 10 travelogues
- Évora Intro, 13 reviews, 116 photos, 9 travelogues
- Røros Intro, 10 reviews, 107 photos, 9 travelogues
- Bet Guvrin Intro, 18 reviews, 89 photos
- Bet She`arim Intro, 11 reviews, 90 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tomar Intro, 12 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues