"Lumijoki - Snow river in summer" Lumijoki by gubbi1
Lumijoki Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 11 photos
I guess most of you will wonder what the header for this intro is about... 'Snow river in summer'??? Well, Finland, especially the north is pretty cold in winter, but not in summer. It is the name of the town Lumijoki. In Finnish 'Lumi' is the snow and 'joki' means river.
This day a 'drive-around-to-explore-the-region'-tour brought me over first to Varjakka (a small harbour of Lumijoki) and then to the church in the center of Lumijoki.
The region is very green during summer. Located between the huge forests of the inland and the sea you will find many small farms here making up the scenery. Also some windmills can be found as remnants of the past.
As stated Varjakka is a small harbour. From here you can see the over to Hailuoto, the big island in front of this region. A boat, the Hailuoto, former used to connect the mainland with the island, is placed onto the land here in the harbour and now hosts a cafe.
In Lumijoki I visited the church, which is one of the very few churches that I have seen here being made of stone. The church is open for visitors during Juli and August from 10 to 16 each day. Here I had my second 'talk' which forced me to use those very few words of Finnish that I have learned during my stay. 'I don't understand Finnish', 'I live in Oulu', 'I am German'... very basic, but I was understood... great! I left the church with a paper telling me some facts about the church (in English).
gubbi1's Related Pages
Lumijoki Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lumijoki
- 0 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Lumijoki?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lumijoki
Photos in LumijokiSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 40 reviews, 231 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oulu Intro, 55 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Lillehammer Intro, 8 reviews, 164 photos, 17 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nazareth Intro, 16 reviews, 124 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akko Intro, 11 reviews, 122 photos, 10 travelogues
- Évora Intro, 13 reviews, 116 photos, 9 travelogues
- Røros Intro, 10 reviews, 107 photos, 9 travelogues
- Bet Guvrin Intro, 18 reviews, 89 photos
- Bet She`arim Intro, 11 reviews, 90 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tomar Intro, 12 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues