"Oulu - extended" Oulunsuu by gubbi1

Oulunsuu Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 51 photos

As space on my Oulu page is getting rare I extend it on the town parts which are closest to the places I visited... Go also for Oulu destination as my main page of Oulu!

From Oulunsuu just a little more outside of town there is a great nature area where you can hike on a path through a swamp. I found this during searches for bird towers on the web and thought I will just have a look. But now I am really impressed as I definitely haven't expected this nature so close to town.

The path is 7 km long. Most ofthe time you have a wooden track, which brings you deep into the swamp. Several signs posted along the path explain about different aspects of flora and fauna, but also about the geological aspects. For the latter one the ice-age played an important role and your hike will bring you to some remains from the times Finland had been covered by a huge mass of ice.

During my hike I haven't had any encounter with moskitos, but there were several explanations about insects, particular about moskitos. Well, I will still be here for almost a year, so I guess I don't want to know what the signs want to say...
EDIT: Last week I repeated the hike with my brother who was here and now in June Moskitos are around. We had more problems in other places during our excursions, but I recommend to use moskito repellend and to wear a hat to protect the head. That way you will be able to enjoy the hike.

On the loop there are two barbeque places with wood provided. Both are located in a pretty environment close to the swamp. But check before if it is allowed to make fire, as if there is a warning people are not supposed to make camp fire.

Another interesting thing to do is to visit the open-air museum Turkansaari. Located on an island in the river Oulu, it presents old houses in which you can get an idea about life in the region of Oulu. I really liked it and was amazed about the variety of the exhibition. At some days you can experience real tar making, otherwise just buy some at the ticket stand.

Have a look at the photos in the travelogues to get an idea!

• Pros:Very close to town, Great Nature and Culture!
  • Cons:Moskitos? Has to be confirmed... CONFIRMED!
  • In a nutshell:You should see this!
  • Intro Updated Jun 30, 2008

Comments

gubbi1

“The way is the destination!”

Badges & Stats in Oulunsuu

Have you been to Oulunsuu?

Latest Activity in Oulunsuu