"Famous Finnish Castle" Savonlinna by gubbi1

Savonlinna Travel Guide: 61 reviews and 171 photos

After my year that I spent in Oulu during 2008 I had three days to get to the ferry from there. So I decided to use this time to share the 600 winterly kilometers in three pieces with some detours to see a little of the southeastern Finland. One place I stopped at was the town of Savonlinna to see the famous and beautiful castle Olavinlinna. At that I time I was wondering how this place would be during summer and also to have a look inside would have been interesting. So I put Savonlinna back to the wishlist for a summer vacation. Now in 2011 a roadtrip through the Southern part of Finland gave me the possibility to mark Savonlinna on my wishlist as done.

Again when arriving I had to find the small road to the castle, but now knew that there is a good parking. From here you will be able to visit the castle, get to the Savonlinna Provincial Museum and to the museum boats behind it. Here it is not a problem to spend half a day if you visit all three of them.

All important information on the castle Olavinlinna you can get from the page of the Finnish National Board of Antiquities. Travelling Finland you will come across their emblem more than once.

Important to mention is that already for quite a while in the castle Operas are played for the public. These are very famous in Finland and abroad. Check out the specific page of the Olavinlinna Opera festivities.

Here some more link(s):
--> Webpage of the Savonlinna Provincial Museum Riihisaari (museum with the museum boats). The page is in Finnish, but there is a link to a flyer with English and German information.

Behind the building of the Savonlinna Provincial Museum you will see several boats which you can visit. Their entrance fee is part of the museum. I recommend to visit both. Unfortunately it is not allowed to take photos inside the museum building, except the exhibition of motors for boats. But I can tell you that they put some effort to set up an interesting exhibition.

This is a chapel inside the castle Olavinlinna.

• Pros:Nice place, Was great to be back here.
  • Last visit to Savonlinna: Aug 2011
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

“The way is the destination!”

Badges & Stats in Savonlinna

Have you been to Savonlinna?

Latest Activity in Savonlinna