"Stundars - A view back into Finnish history" Sulva by gubbi1
Sulva Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 47 photos
Reading in my travelbook of Finland before driving down to Vaasa, it happend that I discovered the open-air museum Stundars. It is located a few kilometers southwest of Vaasa. Stundars is one of the major museums of this kind in Finland and in summer many people are here to feel how life was in the past of this region.
My visit happend to be off-season, therefore there were no activities in the park and the houses were closed. In the summertime, there are many events here, to show people handcraft and life in the village. I had a look at the entrance which is always open, but as everything seemed close I did not think I was allowed to go in. So I head back to my car, when someone came out. It happend to be someone in charge of the park, which I did not know at first. I asked him if it is allowed to go in, so he said that it is no problem. He even picked a guide for me to read about the different houses. I am very thankful. Instead to continue driving I could stick to my plan to see this wonderful park.
Coming there you will see many different houses and huts. Some are painted, which are those of people who own ground. In uncolored houses the poor people lived, who had to work for those rich ones. Many houses are now housing different professions of the former time. The man told me that architecture students come to Stundars to learn about the technics used for constructing these houses. Some even come from Germany up here to Vaasa area.
Directly beside the park you will notice some more pretty houses. Many of them are also brought here to preserve them, but in them people have their private home.
Also recommendable is to have a look at the church of Stundars. It is located directly behind the museum, you will see it when having a look at the windmills.
- Pros:Very nice museum! Colorful and beautiful!
- Cons:no cons...
- In a nutshell:definitely worth to see!
gubbi1's Related Pages
Sulva Travel Guide
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Sulva
- 0 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Sulva?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sulva
Photos in SulvaSee All Photos (47)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 40 reviews, 231 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oulu Intro, 55 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Lillehammer Intro, 8 reviews, 164 photos, 17 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nazareth Intro, 16 reviews, 124 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akko Intro, 11 reviews, 122 photos, 10 travelogues
- Évora Intro, 13 reviews, 116 photos, 9 travelogues
- Røros Intro, 10 reviews, 107 photos, 9 travelogues
- Bet Guvrin Intro, 18 reviews, 89 photos
- Bet She`arim Intro, 11 reviews, 90 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tomar Intro, 12 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues