"Workers living history in Tampere" Tampere by gubbi1
Tampere Travel Guide: 572 reviews and 1,073 photos
I am not sure what city planners were thinking when they planned the modern living quaters in Tampere and other Finnish towns. Of course preassure was probably high to have room for the people, but with it much of the towns history was wiped out. Tamperes history is dominated by the workers who gave and still give their workforce to the industry. Founded in 1779 already in 1783 a paper mill started its operation in Tampere. From that time on Tampere was a leading industrial city with even the first electrical light in the Northern countries. A lot of workforce required space where people lived. So wodden quarters were built in a large scale. And these quarters were teard down for the new modern buildings, except one quarter which nowadays is a museum telling the visitor about how people lived here through the times. It is the Amuri Quarter named after a place in Siberia to which many people moved in the 19th century in search of work.
You can visit quite a lot of rooms with original interior sorted in chronological order. And don't forget to visit the cafe which is really cosy!
- Pros:Very interesting historic quarter
gubbi1's Related Pages
Tampere Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tampere,city of shy people.."
- "Tampere - my favorite city in Finland"
- "Tampere - Industry, Students and Ryanair"
- "Heinisuo's Tampere Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tampere
- Hotels in Tampere
- Transportation in Tampere
- Nightlife in Tampere
- Restaurants in Tampere
- Shopping in Tampere
- Warnings and Dangers in Tampere
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tampere
- 0 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (55)
Have you been to Tampere?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tampere
Photos in TampereSee All Photos (49)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 40 reviews, 231 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oulu Intro, 55 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lillehammer Intro, 8 reviews, 164 photos, 17 travelogues
- Nazareth Intro, 16 reviews, 124 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akko Intro, 11 reviews, 122 photos, 10 travelogues
- Évora Intro, 13 reviews, 116 photos, 9 travelogues
- Røros Intro, 10 reviews, 107 photos, 9 travelogues
- Bet Guvrin Intro, 18 reviews, 89 photos
- Bet She`arim Intro, 11 reviews, 90 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tomar Intro, 12 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues