"Kurjenrahka --- Nature, Food and history" Tortinmäki by gubbi1

Tortinmäki Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 25 photos

Very close to Tortinmäki you will find the Kurjenrahka National Park. It is a beautiful park with historical sites and beautiful nature.
I came here from Uusikaupunki and had fresh fish with me that needed to be prepared. So it came perfect that here at the nature house a roofed fire place can be used. Especially I was glad about the roof as weather was quite rainy and so I could have a rain break while preparing my lunch.
After stuffing my stomach I passed by the nice exhibition inside the nature hut. It tells much about the wildlife in the park, main focus is on the cranes which use the area of the park during summer.

Inside the hut a very oversizes crane can be admired. Probably this is how frogs will see it.
From the nature hut a trail leads down to the Lake Savo (Savojärvi), this trail is also suitable for handicapped in wheel chairs. I liked the views of the lake shore.

As written above the weather was not stable and rain was in the air. But I wanted to give it a try to have a hike. My plan was at least to reach the historically important boundary stone Kuhankuono. So I packed my camera and started to hike. After just a few minutes I arrived there, but then rain intensified and I decided to stop and return to the car. The landscape was nice and it was a pitty.

The official page of the National Parks Authorities have a description of the boundary stone on their page of Kurjenrahka NP:

"The Old Boundary Mark of Kuhankuono
Kuhankuono has been known as an important boundary mark for more than 600 years. The name of the stone means “Pikeperch’s Snout”, which is supposedly describes the shape of the place. Some believe that the name refers to old boundaries of fishing and hunting areas and tracks.

The earliest record of Kuhankuono is from 1381, when the list of the places on the boundary of the municipalities of Masku and Nousiainen ended there. The stone is still a boundary mark of seven municipalities: Aura, Masku, Mynämäki, Nousiainen, Pöytyä, Turku and Vahto. Nowadays Kuhankuono is one of the best known sights of the area, and it can be reached by walking on the duckboards of Kuhankuono Hiking Trail Network.
"

Links:
--> Official page of Kurjenrahka NP

• Pros:Interesting
  • Cons:Unfortunately rain during my visit
  • Last visit to Tortinmäki: Sep 2011
  • Intro Updated Oct 25, 2011

Comments

gubbi1

“The way is the destination!”

Badges & Stats in Tortinmäki

Have you been to Tortinmäki?

Latest Activity in Tortinmäki