"Uusikaupunki --- The New City" Uusikaupunki by gubbi1

Uusikaupunki Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 72 photos

During my Roadtrip I decided to visit Rauma and then to head a little more to the South as time was getting closer that I would have to get on the ferry in Helsinki. So before heading to some last National Parks I was looking for a destination which would be somewhere inbetween. On the map I checked and got stuck on a place called Uusikaupunki. Translated this means 'New City'. This made me curious and so I checked on the web what is there so see. On the official page of this town they propose a city walk of about 4 kilometers to various sites partly with historical importance for the territory later called Finland.

Uusikaupunki, the 'New City', established in 1617 is now almost 400 years old. In 1721 (by then Swedish) the town came in the focus of big politics when here the peace treaty of the Great Northern War was signed. In this war a coalition of the Northern kingdoms and northern central Europe were fighting against the Russian Empire. The war started in 1700 and ended finally with the peace treaty signed here in Uusikaupunki (Nystad in Swedish).
During its existence the town burnt down twice and was rebuilt each time. If you follow the city walk you will also pass by the place where one of the fires started.

In case that you are interested in wind mills you will also find something for your passion. On a hill in town there are several windmills of different type.

I liked my stay and especially with the well made city walk I passed a good time exploring things I probably would have missed.

If you like fresh fish I recommend to have a look at the harbour. There is a fish shop selling fresh fish. I found this to be the first shop entirely dedicated to fresh fish in the whole time that I have spent in Finland, and I lived in Finland for a year. Sure I didn't hesitate to buy some...

• Pros:Nice selfguided city walk
  • Last visit to Uusikaupunki: Sep 2011
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

“The way is the destination!”

Badges & Stats in Uusikaupunki

Have you been to Uusikaupunki?

Latest Activity in Uusikaupunki