"Fredriksten Festning" Halden by gubbi1
Halden Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 59 photos
Halden was the last bigger town that I visited in Norway on my roadtrip through the South of this beautiful country. I had heard of the fortifications here and decided that it is worth to have a look. So I came to Halden and luckily decided right to drive up to the fortification instead of walking. You can see on the main photo that the fortifications are located quite high above town on a strategic position. It was in 1660 that King Frederik III. of Denmark and Norway gave the order to build the fortifications as a protection against the troops of the neighboring Sweden. It took 40 years to finish the construction which was planned by the Dutch Willem Coucheron. The Fredriksten Festning was never captured.
From up the fortifications you will have a splendid view over Halden and the surrounding area. I enjoyed to walk around and to discover the various parts of the defense.
If you continue you way towards Sweden, which is just a few kilometers from Halden, you might pass the Brekke Sluser (Brekke Sluices). Here a dam blocks a river and a stair case of several sluices are covering the difference of altitude to enable the boat traffic. It is quite impressive.
- Pros:Interesting place!
Brekke Sluices are ideal for a short stop. You can walk to the sluices and take the stair along them. It is impressive... more travel advice
gubbi1's Related Pages
Halden Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Small town near the Swedish border"
- "Fredriksten Festning"
- "Studying in Halden"
- "On the Farm in Halden"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Halden
- 2 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Halden?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Halden
Photos in HaldenSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 40 reviews, 231 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oulu Intro, 55 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Lillehammer Intro, 8 reviews, 164 photos, 17 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nazareth Intro, 16 reviews, 124 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akko Intro, 11 reviews, 122 photos, 10 travelogues
- Évora Intro, 13 reviews, 116 photos, 9 travelogues
- Røros Intro, 10 reviews, 107 photos, 9 travelogues
- Bet Guvrin Intro, 18 reviews, 89 photos
- Bet She`arim Intro, 11 reviews, 90 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tomar Intro, 12 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues