"Stave Church and 4000 years of cemetaries" Kvernes by gubbi1
Kvernes Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 7 photos
It has been only a very short stop to Kvernes for visiting the Stave Church. Unfortunately the church was closed, so only a look from the outside was possible for me.
The Kvernses Stave Church is one of the youngest of the Norwegian Stave Churches and was built around 1300. In its 'lifetime' the church was reconstructed several times. 1633 the choir was taken down and rebuilt, new windows were built in and wall paintings with motives of the bible added to the choir. Ten years later more decoration was added. In 1725 the church was sold to private hands by the king. It changed when in 1872 the church community bought the church. In 1893 the new church just beside was built, what meant that just three years later plans were to take down the Stave Church. Fortunately for us it did not happen, the Society for the Preservation of Norwegian Ancient Monuments bought the church to protect it.
Just beside the old Stave Church you will find the newer church.
A sign at the churches explains about the fascinating history of cemetaries in the vicinity of the churches. For thousands of years people were burried here in the area. Graves and grave fields were found and can be explored on a walk. Bronze age, iron age, medieval times and present times cemetaries are present.
On the sign you can see a photo (satellite image of the area that you can see on my photo) with the different sites and the walk marked on it. I couldn't do it as there was a visit to Kristiansand and a larger drive eastwards in front of me.
gubbi1's Related Pages
Kvernes Travel Guide
- See All...
Explore the World
- Kingshouse Hotels
- Mountain View
- Carouge Hotels
- Ryazanskaya Oblast'
- Qingdao Hotels
- Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Reserve Hotels
- Cape Le Grand National Park Hotels
- Étretat Hotels
- Okanagan Lake
- Lipa City
Badges & Stats in Kvernes
- 0 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Kvernes?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kvernes
Photos in KvernesSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 40 reviews, 231 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oulu Intro, 55 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Lillehammer Intro, 8 reviews, 164 photos, 17 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nazareth Intro, 16 reviews, 124 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akko Intro, 11 reviews, 122 photos, 10 travelogues
- Évora Intro, 13 reviews, 116 photos, 9 travelogues
- Røros Intro, 10 reviews, 107 photos, 9 travelogues
- Bet Guvrin Intro, 18 reviews, 89 photos
- Bet She`arim Intro, 11 reviews, 90 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tomar Intro, 12 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues